JohnHowley

Epson Print Driver Compilation Issues

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi All,
I have a problem installing the Epson escpr drivers. I'm using Raspian 4.1.13 #826 and I'm on a Raspberry Pi 1 B model.
The autoinstall packages only cover i386, i486, x86 and amd64 and not all of those in .deb format. So I've downloaded the source and tried compiling them.
I've had a few issues along the way with missing dependencies but have managed to get round them all with a few web searches.

Now I'm stuck though - I get lots of 'undefined references' and have no clue where to start. I've seen a few posts talking about providing more detail to the Make file, but I just can't work out what to do so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The job I'm trying to complete is to make my Epson XP-620 available through a CUPS print server on my Pi.

Here's the error I'm getting:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3 $ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3'
Making all in lib
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/lib'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/lib'
Making all in ppd
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/ppd'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/ppd'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src'
/bin/bash ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc -Wall -DCUPS_FILTER_NAME=\"epson-escpr\" -DCUPS_FILTER_PATH=\"/usr/lib/cups/filter\"  -g -O2 -lpthread  -o epson-escpr-wrapper epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o
libtool: link: gcc -Wall -DCUPS_FILTER_NAME=\"epson-escpr\" -DCUPS_FILTER_PATH=\"/usr/lib/cups/filter\" -g -O2 -o epson-escpr-wrapper epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o  -lpthread
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o: In function `get_default_choice':
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:588: undefined reference to `ppdFindOption'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:592: undefined reference to `ppdFindChoice'
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o: In function `get_option_for_ppd':
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:376: undefined reference to `cupsGetPPD'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:377: undefined reference to `ppdOpenFile'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:505: undefined reference to `ppdClose'
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o: In function `main':
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:167: undefined reference to `cupsRasterOpen'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:189: undefined reference to `cupsRasterReadHeader'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:336: undefined reference to `cupsRasterReadPixels'
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o: In function `get_option_for_arg':
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:525: undefined reference to `cupsParseOptions'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:529: undefined reference to `cupsGetOption'
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o: In function `main':
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:361: undefined reference to `cupsRasterClose'
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o: In function `get_option_for_arg':
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:547: undefined reference to `cupsGetOption'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:551: undefined reference to `cupsGetOption'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:561: undefined reference to `cupsGetOption'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:565: undefined reference to `cupsGetOption'
/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:569: undefined reference to `cupsGetOption'
epson_escpr_wrapper-wrapper.o:/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src/wrapper.c:573: more undefined references to `cupsGetOption' follow
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:419: recipe for target 'epson-escpr-wrapper' failed
make[2]: *** [epson-escpr-wrapper] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3/src'
Makefile:431: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.3'
Makefile:357: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

fruitoftheloom

Re: Epson Print Driver Compilation Issues

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:18 pm

JohnHowley wrote:The job I'm trying to complete is to make my Epson XP-620 available through a CUPS print server on my Pi.
Does CUPS recognise the Printer is attached ??

If so it should give an option to configure using a PPD file, have you tried that ??
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

vuckovic

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi , I have the same problem with L850 and L1800 . Any chance you've cracked it ? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Ty

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:51 pm

vuckovic wrote:Hi , I have the same problem with L850 and L1800 . Any chance you've cracked it ? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Ty
AFAIA the Epson Driver Source is for x86-32 / x86-64 architecture, the RPi is ARM Architecture !

Gutenprint support many Epson Printers under Linux, even the L1800: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

Does CUPS actually recognise your Printers ?????????
Retired disgracefully.....

scruss

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 pm

My Raspberry Pis find my networked Epson printer no bother. I had to install cups and system-config-printer for this to work. Didn't have to build anything.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

gregeric

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:36 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
vuckovic wrote:Hi , I have the same problem with L850 and L1800 . Any chance you've cracked it ? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Ty
AFAIA the Epson Driver Source is for x86-32 / x86-64 architecture, the RPi is ARM Architecture !

Gutenprint support many Epson Printers under Linux, even the L1800: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

Does CUPS actually recognise your Printers ?????????
Been too busy to reply before now but if OP JohnHowley's still around, your compilation issues aren't related to "x86 driver source code".

Compilation errors should be fixed with:

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-cupsfilterdir=/usr/lib/cups/filter --with-cupsppddir=usr/share/ppd

mcfl33go

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm trying to compile to get the Epson ET-2550 to work. The proper configure syntax helped a great deal, but I'm getting these messages now when I try to run the make command:

CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && aclocal-1.14 -I m4
cd . && automake-1.14 --gnu
lib/Makefile.am:47: error: Libtool library used but 'LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/Makefile.am:47: The usual way to define 'LIBTOOL' is to add 'LT_INIT'
lib/Makefile.am:47: to 'configure.ac' and run 'aclocal' and 'autoconf' again.
lib/Makefile.am:47: If 'LT_INIT' is in 'configure.ac', make sure
lib/Makefile.am:47: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
Makefile:276: recipe for target 'Makefile.in' failed
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

Any further suggestions on this?
Thanks!

scruss

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:45 pm

That configure line should probably have --with-cupsppddir=/usr/share/ppd.

The error suggests running aclocal and autoconf before calling ./configure.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

humphreybas

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:27 pm

This other thread that I started regarding compiling the Epson driver might be helpful as well:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=145425

Return to “Beginners”