forklift

1st timer looking for a car gauges solution

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:18 am

Never built a raspberry thing, but Ive done a few computer projects. Im looking to do a 10" monitor for gauges hooked to a raspberry, probably a B+. I already have a double din Pioneer stereo for the sound side, but I might interface the PI into the front speaker amp with isolators for warnings and such. Im a car stereo/alarm guru by trade so some of this isnt hard, other parts are a mystery, like the programs. I might also load up GPS on this, and use it as a back up camera into the monitor, but at first and mainly it would be digital gauges. I already have a ELM327 style blueooth running the Torque app on my phone, which is pretty cool, Id like something like that, I could maybe get the Raspberry to run android with the torque app, but I hear android on it isnt stable
looking to do this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VE7 ... J4VR39AHUP

Another question would be this, can a Pi B, with its analog and HDMI outs, do both at the same time? That way I could see the gauges on the AV out as well

Thank you, all you good peoples

ElEscalador

Re: 1st timer looking for a car gauges solution

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:58 pm

I haven't yet worked on using torque with my pi - it's on my long todo list - but I will offer this advice: Keep it simple.

You don't need to use software and the pi - For $50 I bought a 9" backup monitor that comes with two rca video inputs. One is for dvd and the other is for the backup camera and it automatically switches to backup camera when you are backing up (that's activated by a wire your run to a backup light switch)
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

forklift

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:22 pm

i know about the camera stuff, already have one on my Pioneer deck now, I just need info on the interface and programming for the gauges

drgeoff

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:37 pm

It is either HDMI or analogue video. Both simultaneously is not possible. End of.

forklift

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:28 am

I thought thats what was said, might do two later. Just bought one on ebay, P2 B+, a clear case and all that to start me off. Im going to try stuff out with a retro gaming machine and go from there

forklift

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:31 am

ok got a Sainsmart 9" touchscreen and 16 ch relay pack coming and have Xbian loaded, trying to figure out how to add GPS and a good interface

cosh68

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:02 am

forlift...

This sounds like what iam trying to do, already have a 7" tablet in the car doing this but was thinking about doing a 7" touch screen with a Pi....

http://www.mazda2forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1857.0

Will follow this to see how you get on...

Shaun....

Return to “Beginners”