GT_Charlie

Noob in northwest LA.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:00 am

My name is Charlie, and I'm a homebrewer. :-)

The Raspberry pi has been touted as an advanced controller for homebrewing of beer. I studied the posts, and was pretty well convinced, but my current system (BCS-460) is working well, and the itch wasn't quite intense enough to scratch. Then, last week, I found out that my house is wired for a security system, but the controller was never installed. I have oodles of sensors at the various doors and windows attached to phone cables which run to a box in the hall closet! I googled "home automation security linux" (Linux is my favorite OS by far!) and the first several links were to Raspberry pi projects.

OK, I'm sold. What do I need (besides a Raspberry pi) to begin this home automation/security project? Any good links on howto?

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I just landed.

TIA,
Charlie
Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Navyscourge

Re: Noob in northwest LA.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:15 pm

Ok, quick answer, but I don't know enough about your house sensors. I suggest that you make a diagram of which sensors connect to where in the box. You need to know if each is a normally open or normally closed switch, or something else.

I suggest that you read about the GPIO connector and python electronics projects. Perhaps get a breadboard as a way to experiment with your circuit. You should start by building your house security system one sensor at a time. There are a lot of GPIO examples here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/make/

There are quite a few 'sensor' boards that expand the Pi in nice ways, but I would wait until you know what you need before spending too much

When you get stuck, ask here.

Return to “Beginners”