vivek_kumar

Install OS without internet connection

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:46 am

Hello everyone, i am new here......i just bought my new Rsapberry pi 2 model B and it's awesome. i saw and read lots of video and pdf but didn't get my answer. my question is : Is it possible to install a raspbian OS without internet connection? ;)

Navyscourge

Re: Install OS without internet connection

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:16 am

There are three ways to install software for your Pi (might be more but these are the common ones):

1) Download the distribution image and "write" it to an SD card - needs to be downloaded from the internet and written using a different PC

2) Download the NOOBS zip file (not NOOBS-Lite), unzip it and "copy" the files to the SD card - easier than 1, but still needs to be downloaded from the internet and copied using a different PC

3) Buy a pre-installed system SD card. I am not sure how easy it is to buy one without the internet, but it should just work when you connect it all up

You will probably want to install more software, or update what you have already got, so an internet connection is nearly essential

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 am

vivek_kumar wrote:Hello everyone, i am new here......i just bought my new Rsapberry pi 2 model B and it's awesome. i saw and read lots of video and pdf but didn't get my answer. my question is : Is it possible to install a raspbian OS without internet connection? ;)
Yes. The problem--as noted above--is that you have to have a way to get the OS, and the best options there involve downloading
from the internet.

However, if all you are addressing is the install process once you have the image file or NOOBS, then, no, you don't need an internet connection for the Pi. Once you have the Pi up and running, you *will* want an internet connection ((either wired or wireless) to update the local repository lists (sudo apt-get update) and then upgrade your software to the latest version of each package (sudo apt-get upgrade). Plus you'll need a connection to download and install any additional software packages you want

vivek_kumar

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Thank you so much for reply :) [

quote="Navyscourge"]There are three ways to install software for your Pi (might be more but these are the common ones):

1) Download the distribution image and "write" it to an SD card - needs to be downloaded from the internet and written using a different PC

2) Download the NOOBS zip file (not NOOBS-Lite), unzip it and "copy" the files to the SD card - easier than 1, but still needs to be downloaded from the internet and copied using a different PC

3) Buy a pre-installed system SD card. I am not sure how easy it is to buy one without the internet, but it should just work when you connect it all up

You will probably want to install more software, or update what you have already got, so an internet connection is nearly essential[/quote]

drgeoff

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Navyscourge wrote: 3) Buy a pre-installed system SD card. I am not sure how easy it is to buy one without the internet, but it should just work when you connect it all up.
"it should just work when you connect it all up" but it is from from unheard of for this not to be the case because what has been written to the card before purchase is too old to support the hardware version of the buyer's RPi. :( Even in some cases when RPi and card are delivered to the buyer in the same shipment. :( :(
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Beginners”