mattig

Looking for some basic projects

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Hidy ho all,

I got a Rasberry Pi B+ for Christmas from my cousin. I did post on this board a bit back, asking about power supplies. And that thread was rather helpful (though at the end, I did get a warning).

Now my cousin is using some kind of os to play classic games on her Pi. While that sounds interesting, I'm not a programmer. I have very little to no interest in Editing linux config files, to get games to run properly.

I'm a network tech. My interests lie with gaming (thats my hobby) and networking projects I can do. Like setting up a firewall, getting a server up and running, Or anything else you can think of that involves networking and/or network security.

So I'm wondering if there are any good, beginner networking projects for someone is is brand new to the pi.

Navyscourge

Re: Looking for some basic projects

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:45 pm

I'm wondering if there are any good, beginner networking projects
Yes. What do you call a beginner networking project?

Try Google ;) - If you get stuck, just post back here

karrika

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:57 pm

One thing I found very fascinating network wise is the the new query language GraphQL. It is used in Finland for finding out all public transportation in the entire country. The language itself comes from Facebook I believe and it seems to become some kind of de-facto standard in the near future.

I just placed one pull request to the Raspberry Pi information display project for adding a traffic page for monitoring public transportation in Finland to the project. https://github.com/elParaguayo/RPi-InfoScreen-Kivy

The code itself is Kivy based python. And the networking things you could add there is only restricted by your imagination. Perhaps there is other new services popping up using GraphQL.

Here is what I wrote in GraphQL to query the transport schedule above:

Code: Select all

data = \
"{" \
"  stop(id: \"%s\") {" \
"    name code" \
"    stoptimesWithoutPatterns(numberOfDepartures:20) {" \
"      trip{" \
"        tripHeadsign" \
"        route{" \
"          shortName" \
"        }" \
"        alerts{" \
"          alertDescriptionTextTranslations {" \
"            text" \
"            language" \
"          }" \
"        }" \
"      }" \
"      scheduledDeparture departureDelay serviceDay" \
"    }" \
"  }" \
"}"
For "beginner" level you could try to install the program into your RPi and have a look at the screens that already exist.

git clone https://github.com/elParaguayo/RPi-InfoScreen-Kivy.git
makes a copy of the project into your Pi.

cd RPi-InfoScreen-Kivy
python main.py
starts the program and shows the active screens.

cd RPi-InfoScreen-Kivy/screens/tube
goes to a page that contains London tube screen. On every screen you have a file called conf.json. By editing the enabled to true you can activate the screen.

{
    "screen": "TubeScreen",
    "kv": "tube.kv",
    "enabled": false,
    "dependencies": ["requests"],

Edit: Oops. Now when I look at what I wrote it may not be so beginner friendly project after all. And it does not contain a game. I should read the question before being carried away. Perhaps suitable for a very talented advanced beginner? There is a game of pong in some screen.
viewtopic.php?p=851418#p851418
Does it count?

flubbard

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:20 pm

If you are into networking, I would start by getting a simple web server up and running with apache2. You might also look into some items like OpenElec to make a network attached media player.

If you want to get into the hardware side, I've posted a couple of beginner hardware projects shown below. I've worked more towards some home automation through the network, as a place to play. Specifically, it's kind of fun to hook up something physical to the Pi, and then let it be controlled from a web interface.

Let me know if you want any more information.

- Barry

Adding a shutdown / wake-up buton
http://www.barryhubbard.com/raspberry-p ... io-button/

Lighting an LED with the GPIO
http://www.barryhubbard.com/raspberry-p ... oject-led/

Simple LED Traffic Light
http://www.barryhubbard.com/raspberry-p ... stoplight/

Controlling a transistor with the Pi's GPIO
http://www.barryhubbard.com/raspberry-p ... pberry-pi/

hippy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:29 pm

mattig wrote:I'm a network tech. My interests lie with gaming (thats my hobby) and networking projects I can do. Like setting up a firewall, getting a server up and running, Or anything else you can think of that involves networking and/or network security.
I too would suggest starting with getting a web server up and running, then perhaps moving on to creating a wireless captive portal, even a hotspot. That would seem to involve a lot of the things you find fun. And, if you document 'how to', it would probably also create a useful resource for anyone else looking to do the same.

mattig

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm

What do you mean by a wireless captive portal/hotspot?

Are you talking about setting up a wireless ap or router?

hippy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:35 pm

mattig wrote:What do you mean by a wireless captive portal/hotspot?
I was thinking of a self-contained web server people can connect to over Wi-Fi from their mobile phones. Captive portal in that they can't get at other sites, they always get a local web page if they try. Hotspot if you want everyone / approved users to have access to other sites. In both cases the local web server makes it a portal rather than an AP or router which would usually be entirely transparent to them after connecting.

llll IUDEX

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:51 pm

In my opinion using it as a TOR router would be quite an interesting network project...

mattig

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Fair enough, you've peaked my curiosity. I would have no idea how to go about building that, but it sounds rather interesting.

I took 3 programming classes in college, and had to retake the first 2 classes 3 times to pass them. The 3rd class, the teacher just felt sorry for me and let me pass. That 2nd and 3rd class was with going to the extra help center 3 times a week.

I hate programming, I really do. Though that could be just the languages I had to learn. C++ and Java with UI's.

Or it could be that I just don't have that creative spark you need to be a programmer. I have fits of drawing ideas, and the ocasional idea for a program to write, but they are gone by the end of the work day.

I think I'll have to start with an Apache server, and go from there. That I've at least done once before.

I've heard rumors of turning your Pi into a router, does that project exist?

Edit:
Thanks for the ideas so far all. I'm not the creative type, so thinking of ideas for a pi isn't my forte. I'm more of a, get in there, and work it out sort of person. I just need a direction to go in.

hippy

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:18 am

mattig wrote:I've heard rumors of turning your Pi into a router, does that project exist?
OpenWRT is available for the Pi 2B and earlier versions -
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_ ... spberry_pi

There have been various projects and discussions on the forum and elsewhere on what needs to be done to turn a Pi into an access point, router and so on.

Return to “Beginners”