sebastiaopburnay

RPi baby monitor

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi!
I have an RPi B+ (1st Gen) and I've noticed the Raspbian recognizes my good old USB webCam (I've already successful used a CCTV freeware server to capture pics every x seconds upon movement detection).

But what I really want is a low-cost baby monitor (Audio is actually as important, or more, than the video feed itself) - commercial baby-monitors cost over 100€ and this solution would be virtually free as I already own the RPi and the USB webCam.

So, I would like help in setting an audio+video feed over HTTP with VLC on my RPi.

Is it possible to capture audio using a mic connected to the mini-jack on the RPi's board? Will I need an USB mic?

I'm thinking that Jessie is the more appropriate distro as it is allegedly light weighted.

Thank you in advance

Navyscourge

Re: RPi baby monitor

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 pm

You will need a USB microphone, as the Pi does not have audio input. There are lots of tutorials to use to help you in your project. Try this 'official' one here for the webcam: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... e/webcams/

The Jessie version of Raspbian is the latest 'official' software, and if you ask a question here most people will assume that is what you are using unless you specify that in your post.

You will get a better answer to specific questions, indicating what you have done and what happened (if it does not work). Anyway, just jump in - you will probably learn a lot, and might follow a path that you later decide to abandon. Have fun :)

Return to “Beginners”