stderr

Re: First RPi2, First Post

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:21 am

rpdom wrote:
stderr wrote: He can't boot from those drives so it is a little unfair to compare them to boot drive bloat.
Not unfair at all.

The boot card only needs to be large enough to contain the contents of /boot (about 70MB). The rest can be on the disks. I've got a 128MB card in one Pi, with a 1TB hard disk for the OS and other files.
Although I do violate this rule, it is clearly better to have the data and the os as separate as possible. Your configuration means that you now have to use that setup together with the spindle. You can't just remove the drive and put it on another machine somewhere else and expect the 128meg sdcard pi to work right. (I'm assuming you aren't going to come back that you've locally networked access to the files on the hard disk and could just put the drive on any machine on your network)

rpdom

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:28 am

stderr wrote:
rpdom wrote:
stderr wrote: He can't boot from those drives so it is a little unfair to compare them to boot drive bloat.
Not unfair at all.

The boot card only needs to be large enough to contain the contents of /boot (about 70MB). The rest can be on the disks. I've got a 128MB card in one Pi, with a 1TB hard disk for the OS and other files.
Although I do violate this rule, it is clearly better to have the data and the os as separate as possible. Your configuration means that you now have to use that setup together with the spindle. You can't just remove the drive and put it on another machine somewhere else and expect the 128meg sdcard pi to work right. (I'm assuming you aren't going to come back that you've locally networked access to the files on the hard disk and could just put the drive on any machine on your network)
You're assuming a lot.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Why is the Raspbian so large?

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:39 am

Keep it polite people.

Different things get done in different ways. Doesn't mean YOUR way is best.

WRT OP, the 3.1GB Raspbian contains a huge amount of educational stuff, to ensure that a default install contains everything that the average classroom would need.

If that is not your cup of tea, there are alternatives that omit a load of that stuff.

It's pretty simple - use the distro that fits your purposes. Don't complain if a distro doesn't fit your purposes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

stderr

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:24 pm

rpdom wrote:
stderr wrote: (I'm assuming you aren't going to come back that you've locally networked access to the files on the hard disk and could just put the drive on any machine on your network)
You're assuming a lot.
In fairness to me, the mere mention of this caveat suggests at least the marginal awareness of a possibility. Do you actually have it set up to transparently allow the hard drive's connection to any suitable node on your network without disrupting the pi's booting?

rpdom

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Since you ask, the disk on that particular Pi has two partitions. The smaller one is the OS and general user files/database etc. The larger one is mostly data files. The data filesystem is available via NFS if required, but the files are really just for use on that Pi. I have no requirement to unscrew the disk from the case and move it to another system.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:46 pm

jamesh wrote:Keep it polite people.

Obligatory Kipling..."There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right."

stderr

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:14 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:Keep it polite people.

Obligatory Kipling..."There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right."
One thing I remember him writing is that at the time people in India had such different culture and food habits that someone who was starving and, I don't know, a hundred miles away from an area that used some food all the time would not touch it because he didn't know what it was. So not only is every single one of them right, you better be willing to look at all of them least you risk leaving the table hungry.

Return to “Beginners”