LTolledo

Re: How to run .exe files on raspbian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:32 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 pm
protosam wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm
You can run windows binaries on Pi, just install windows for arm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBE1oP_lRo
^ This dude is reputable.

It sucks, is slow, and painful... and messy... but it is doable.
In other words, like we said, its only theoretically doable, if you can stand the pain....
Heck even running w$ on current x86 systems IS STILL a PAIN....
...the reason for me dumping my x86 w$...

Let's just let the OP (and others who persistently insist) in proceeding by themselves....
maybe those types feel pleasure in pain :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

X-Gen

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm
X-Gen wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:07 pm
jamesh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Cannot believe this thread is still going. Not sure how many times you can say that to all useful intents and purposes, you cannot run .exe files on the Pi.

To the OP, almost certainly what you want to do is not possible.
You haven't read my post?
Some exes can be ran on the pi.
Apparently the Android port of the game can be ran on the pi.

And some person claims he was able to install wine on his raspberry pi. It should work, as arm is just reduced instruction, meaning there might be some performance penalty to get compatibility working.. but I haven't personally tried wine on the pi.
And you didn't read my post. "To all useful intents and purposes".

Setting up a Pi to run x86 .exe's is long and complicated process, and the end result is an app, that if it works, will run so slowly (unless its 10 years old) as to be useless.

WINE can be installed, over the top of something like QEMU. So you are using the ARM instruction set to emulate the x86 instructions on top of which you are emulating the WIndows API. I reckon that will take about 10 ARM instructions on average to run one x86 instructions, so you are immediately running at one tenth the speed (150MHz). Then take in to account you then need to emulate the Windows API, there another speed factor to take in to account.

It's going to be SLOW, so slow as to be unusable unless you Windows apps was designed to be used on 200MHz Pentiums. So that's about 15 year old x86 kit.
As far as 3D games go, yes, it would be quite difficult to achieve.
But Dosbox works quite well.
The only ones I had issues with emulating, was 800x600 3D games.
The 640x480 games of old run just fine on the Pi.

It reminds me of a friend who used Bleem, to run PS1 games on his 166Mhz MMX CPU.
It took nearly 1Ghz for PS2 games.

protosam

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 am

LTolledo wrote:
mahjongg wrote:
protosam wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm
You can run windows binaries on Pi, just install windows for arm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBE1oP_lRo
^ This dude is reputable.

It sucks, is slow, and painful... and messy... but it is doable.
In other words, like we said, its only theoretically doable, if you can stand the pain....

Let's just let the OP (and others who persistently insist) in proceeding by themselves....

Altering quotes is tacky. I also agree that this entire topic is asinine. Running windows binaries in Linux kindof just sucks, even on x86 with Wine. If this dude absolutely needs to run a windows binary, he should probably invest in a lattepanda and run windows on that if he needs something comparable to a Pi.

Alternatively if he's unable to shill out for that x86 dev board and still needs to run a windows thing, just have him run windows.

Supporting wine on Pi just sucks. I spent some time testing wine and it's just hot garbage. It took years for wine to even get into a useable state on x86 linux, there were a lot of people involved in that. Same would need to be done for arm.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:37 am

protosam wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 am
LTolledo wrote:
mahjongg wrote:

Altering quotes is tacky. I also agree that this entire topic is asinine. Running windows binaries in Linux kindof just sucks, even on x86 with Wine. If this dude absolutely needs to run a windows binary, he should probably invest in a lattepanda and run windows on that if he needs something comparable to a Pi.

Alternatively if he's unable to shill out for that x86 dev board and still needs to run a windows thing, just have him run windows.

Supporting wine on Pi just sucks. I spent some time testing wine and it's just hot garbage. It took years for wine to even get into a useable state on x86 linux, there were a lot of people involved in that. Same would need to be done for arm.
What do you mean by altering quotes? The quotes above appear to match the original posts in my quick scan.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

rpdom

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 am

jamesh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:37 am
What do you mean by altering quotes?
I suspect it is a reference to this one https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1596000 where strikeout has been added.
Unreadable squiggle

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am

The strikeout was added in the quote in my own post, but I removed it, now I have learned that the youtuber in question is gary sims, which I indeed agree is a reputable youtuber, I'm a fan.

I also removed the strikethroughs because its a bit childish to do such a thing, I apologize.

Still the clip reveals that Windows 10 ARM isn't really a suitable OS that runs well on lower or medium performance systems.

On a system with a performance level that runs Raspbian stably and reasonably fast, its very slow and crashes often, could be that the reason is that its not an official port, but it might hint at the slowness in general of Windows 10 ARM.

hippy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:16 pm

LTolledo wrote:
The thing is that OP's and others encouraging them would be quite happy with that.

It would IMO be better if those who pile-in and insist it cannot be done, or try to discourage or dissuade, would indeed just step back, leave them to it.

LTolledo

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:16 pm
LTolledo wrote:
The thing is that OP's and others encouraging them would be quite happy with that.

It would IMO be better if those who pile-in and insist it cannot be done, or try to discourage or dissuade, would indeed just step back, leave them to it.
....as long as those "collaborators" don't come barging in and demanding/forcing things then "peace be with us all".... :D

we all know that the forum mods and/or admins have the "kill switch" anyway... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Beginners”