dickbnewbie

Where to begin

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:53 pm

As you can see from my user name I am new to the Raspberry Pi.
As you can see I am a new user of Raspberry Pi, but I am not new tp programming.

I have many years of programming starting way back in the day when bits were flat.

I am waiting for delivery of my newly ordered RP.

Can anyone suggest a good place to start, reading, tutorials, etc.

I prefer to stay in Microsoft world, as opposed to Unix.

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: Where to begin

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:03 am

dickbnewbie wrote:As you can see from my user name I am new to the Raspberry Pi.
As you can see I am a new user of Raspberry Pi, but I am not new tp programming.

I have many years of programming starting way back in the day when bits were flat.

I am waiting for delivery of my newly ordered RP.

Can anyone suggest a good place to start, reading, tutorials, etc.

I prefer to stay in Microsoft world, as opposed to Unix.

Thanks
Linux supports most programming languages.

MS Windows is not installable on the RPi SBC

Two good learning resources are:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi
Retired disgracefully.....

BS-007

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:49 am

Also coming from Windows (7).
Completely new to the Raspberry and Linux.
Much overwhelmed at this stage.
Hope this grows into a Newbie_Mutual_Support group.

A form of Windows 10 seems to be available:

- http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Downloads.htm

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:50 am

BS-007 wrote:Also coming from Windows (7).
Completely new to the Raspberry and Linux.
Much overwhelmed at this stage.
Hope this grows into a Newbie_Mutual_Support group.

A form of Windows 10 seems to be available:

- http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Downloads.htm
It is not comparable to Windows Desktop as has been discussed ad-infinitum, just forget about ever installing Windows Desktop on the RPi:

viewforum.php?f=105
Retired disgracefully.....

drgeoff

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:58 am

Windows 10 IoT for RPi2 has as much resemblance to Windows 10 Desktop as my wife's Peugeot 205 has to a car. (Despite the name and model number her Peugeot 205 is a bicycle.)

RogerW

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 pm

I started programming using a computer that had valves not transistors. I also spent many years programming Windows.
As others have said Windows is a non starter on the RPi as a general purpose OS. I would resign yourself for Linux. Unless you have good reason to do otherwise go for Raspian Jessie and prepare for a culture shock. Do you remember when Windows ran on top of DOS? Linux is a command line system and the graphics run on top. X seems to be the default although there are others. Resign youself for documentation that varies from adequate to non existent.
Having said all that fun can be had. I suggest you start with python as a programming language - it is well defined and there are development environments better than the default idle. Many python programs will run unchanged on a PC using windows which means you can use more powerful IDEs - I use Eclipse on the PC and geany on the RPI. For GUI I use tkinter.
God luck and have fun.

drgeoff

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 pm

RogerW wrote:Do you remember when Windows ran on top of DOS? Linux is a command line system and the graphics run on top.
You'd better get your bullet-proof vest on. :)

QuietZone

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:36 pm

drgeoff wrote:
RogerW wrote:Do you remember when Windows ran on top of DOS? Linux is a command line system and the graphics run on top.
You'd better get your bullet-proof vest on. :)
I suppose people will nitpick, but it is true (that the graphics run on top in Linux).

But it is also (still) true in Windows. MS tries to pretend otherwise, but it is still the case.
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody come sit next to me." — Alice Roosevelt Longworth

RogerW

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:44 pm

QuietZone wrote: But it is also (still) true in Windows. MS tries to pretend otherwise, but it is still the case.
I don't think that is true. Windows NT started from scratch and the graphics API was included. Command line programs still exist as does a console but they are all part of the same system. A command line program can create a MessageBox for instance. When I was programming windows the whole API was in Windows.h.

QuietZone

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Lots of people don't believe the world is round (seriously - this is not a joke).

Lots of people also don't believe the world is more than 6KYO (again, not a joke)
"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody come sit next to me." — Alice Roosevelt Longworth

mr.ammy

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:33 am

i m also new in raspbessy pi.. i hope i will get gud topics to endourse my knowledge....

RustyKnight

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:57 am

As a relative newbie - I've been using my original Pi B headless for about a month - I'd suggest you stop worrying about Windoze, and just install Raspbian and look through the guides on the website, you'll slowly pick it up and get to know how this little box of tricks works as well as what you can do with it.
So much for the official forum being helpful - if you ask a question they send you threatening messages and warnings - I'm leaving

GTR2Fan

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:12 am

Raspbian Jessie is about as close as you'll get to a Win7 experience on a Pi, IMO. It's had enough features added to the desktop GUI to make the fact that it's Linux almost irrelevant to non-techie users. You just need to get used to finding ARM-compiled Debian replacements for your favourite Windows programs, and that's not too hard to do most of the time as there are thousands in the repository that can be easily accessed via Add/Remove Software.

The Pi2B in my sig has now almost completely replaced a far more powerful x86 Win10 PC for general day-to-day usage. It's not hard to do. You just need to ask questions here and learn from the answers given. :)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:23 am

For a start, I'd recommend forgetting that it's not Windows and just take a look around.

Using Linux is no more difficult than learning a new release of Windows if all you are doing is browsing the Internet, writing documents and looking at files. Everything looks different, but it all works more or less the same. Even programing in Python or Scratch works exactly the same.

You don't have to use your Raspberry Pi to learn programming. It makes a nice little computer for a NAS, a media server or a web server. But if you want to learn to program as a complete newbie then I'd recommend you start with Scratch. It will let you get your head around how stuff goes together to make a working program.

Where you will find differences is in more advanced tasks such as setting a static IP address for your network connection, writing C programs and controling stuff with the GPIO pins -- all stuff that most people don't know how to do on Windows either.

And if you're enough of a techie that you write DOS batch files, then Bash scripts will be familiar enough and a breath of fresh air once you realise how much more powerful they are.

Return to “Beginners”