an732001
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm

How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi,

I recently bough the Raspberry Pi 2. I experimented a bit and installed Raspbian on it. I am slightly familiar with python and know a bit about the I/O capabilities of the Pi. I cannot find any tutorials for the Pi which go right from the absolute basics to the advanced uses of the Pi. If anyone knows any places where I can learn this for FREE (since I am still a student), that would be really helpful. Also preferably if they can direct me to a particular website.

Thanks,
AN.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:00 pm

you'll find everything you need at www.raspberrypi.org/forums there are links to detailed tutorials on all subjects, in depth discussions on numerous topics covering all sorts of subjects.

Pick up a thread, read it from the beginning, consider how you would solve the problem, read the answers and test them for yourself on your own Pi.

I've gone from knowing nothing about the Pi to knowing a little bit about python and a bit less about Arduino.

If you find you don't understand something just ask (once you've done the basic research).

P.S.
The forum search is broken, use google.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.


an732001
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 pm

BMS Doug wrote:you'll find everything you need at http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums there are links to detailed tutorials on all subjects, in depth discussions on numerous topics covering all sorts of subjects.

Pick up a thread, read it from the beginning, consider how you would solve the problem, read the answers and test them for yourself on your own Pi.

I've gone from knowing nothing about the Pi to knowing a little bit about python and a bit less about Arduino.

If you find you don't understand something just ask (once you've done the basic research).

P.S.
The forum search is broken, use google.
I was thinking about that but I do not want to learn it in a random project way, if there was a concrete way to proceed further like something with the layout of a book or like an online course like they give for various programming languages. That would be my style of learning and I want to possibly learn Pi like that. If there is not a way how to maybe I will then consider that method. Another problem is that I do not know where to exactly "start".

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:35 pm

an732001 wrote: I was thinking about that but I do not want to learn it in a random project way, if there was a concrete way to proceed further like something with the layout of a book or like an online course like they give for various programming languages. That would be my style of learning and I want to possibly learn Pi like that. If there is not a way how to maybe I will then consider that method. Another problem is that I do not know where to exactly "start".
The Pi is such an adaptable device, with so many different possibilities.

It would be difficult to produce a comprehensive A-Z guide of how to progress where there are multiple paths forward.

I would suggest that you pick an aspect of the Pi that interests you and start from there (and ask advice on how to learn more about it) and once you have mastered that you can move on to another aspect.

As you go you will find other things that you weren't directly interested in that you need to learn in order to progress, that's fine too.


Perhaps you could document your learning progress and be the person to write an A-Z guide to learning about the Pi?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

an732001
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:05 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
an732001 wrote: I was thinking about that but I do not want to learn it in a random project way, if there was a concrete way to proceed further like something with the layout of a book or like an online course like they give for various programming languages. That would be my style of learning and I want to possibly learn Pi like that. If there is not a way how to maybe I will then consider that method. Another problem is that I do not know where to exactly "start".
The Pi is such an adaptable device, with so many different possibilities.

It would be difficult to produce a comprehensive A-Z guide of how to progress where there are multiple paths forward.

I would suggest that you pick an aspect of the Pi that interests you and start from there (and ask advice on how to learn more about it) and once you have mastered that you can move on to another aspect.

As you go you will find other things that you weren't directly interested in that you need to learn in order to progress, that's fine too.


Perhaps you could document your learning progress and be the person to write an A-Z guide to learning about the Pi?
Maybe I will document my learning process, that seems like a really good idea. But, I have a few questions:
1) What if I want to start with something that is really hard?
2) What if I cannot make up my mind what to do, either I have too many options that I like or too few.
3) May I Private Message you if I need any help
4) Where do I post my guide?
5) Should I constantly upgrade it or finish it properly then post it?

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:24 pm

an732001 wrote:Maybe I will document my learning process, that seems like a really good idea. But, I have a few questions:
Questions are good, intelligently thought out questions are even better.
an732001 wrote:1) What if I want to start with something that is really hard?
Then it will be a steep learning curve and you may find that you need to figure out several other things before you learn it. If you document these then the next person will know what to expect. Although they may have other things they need to learn first, that you know and didn't think were necessary to document, the problem becomes a question of "How simplified do I make my guide".
an732001 wrote:2) What if I cannot make up my mind what to do, either I have too many options that I like or too few.
Flip a coin, roll a dice? Life is filled with choices and sometimes the best choice isn't obvious, all we can do is live with the choices we make. Changing our minds and giving up on a previously made choice is also a valid choice, we can always come back to a subject later (or write it off as not being interesting to us and not bothering with it again).
an732001 wrote:3) May I Private Message you if I need any help
If you feel you must, I do prefer to speak on the open forum and try to check threads I've previously posted in.
an732001 wrote:4) Where do I post my guide?
there are many ways and means to a guide, you could write a blog or you could start a thread and reserve the first 10 posts for your own use. You could just write it all as a text document but that way lies madness.
an732001 wrote:5) Should I constantly upgrade it or finish it properly then post it?
I would keep an ongoing, constantly upgrading version, so that you can get advice from other people on the forum as you go.
(Don't expect consensus, you cannot please all of the people all of the time).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

boyoh
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Selby. North Yorkshire .UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Here is your time scale for being a " Expert " On the Raspberry Pi

Knowing Nothing (---"Time" Programmer---) Expert ??

Knowing Nothing (----"TimeYears" Hardware Electronics----) " Expert?? " after a very long time

There is no Magic Books or formulas , Just reading and building circuits,

You will get a lot of expert advice off the Forum, Also Google
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

an732001
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
an732001 wrote:Maybe I will document my learning process, that seems like a really good idea. But, I have a few questions:
Questions are good, intelligently thought out questions are even better.
an732001 wrote:1) What if I want to start with something that is really hard?
Then it will be a steep learning curve and you may find that you need to figure out several other things before you learn it. If you document these then the next person will know what to expect. Although they may have other things they need to learn first, that you know and didn't think were necessary to document, the problem becomes a question of "How simplified do I make my guide".
an732001 wrote:2) What if I cannot make up my mind what to do, either I have too many options that I like or too few.
Flip a coin, roll a dice? Life is filled with choices and sometimes the best choice isn't obvious, all we can do is live with the choices we make. Changing our minds and giving up on a previously made choice is also a valid choice, we can always come back to a subject later (or write it off as not being interesting to us and not bothering with it again).
an732001 wrote:3) May I Private Message you if I need any help
If you feel you must, I do prefer to speak on the open forum and try to check threads I've previously posted in.
an732001 wrote:4) Where do I post my guide?
there are many ways and means to a guide, you could write a blog or you could start a thread and reserve the first 10 posts for your own use. You could just write it all as a text document but that way lies madness.
an732001 wrote:5) Should I constantly upgrade it or finish it properly then post it?
I would keep an ongoing, constantly upgrading version, so that you can get advice from other people on the forum as you go.
(Don't expect consensus, you cannot please all of the people all of the time).
Okay so I think I should make a blog or host my document on some website (any ideas which website?) and keep an ongoing thread where everyone in the community can give their inputs and help me make the guide as comprehensive as possible. Yeah, the question about simplicity really comes in. I think they should have basic knowledge of python, electronics, etc. But the demographic I think I should target should have coded before but not too advanced, maybe till if-else or for loops or something like that and should know some basic terminal commands as I do not have the time nor the expertise to go into detail for every single thing that they can google. The basic reason why I am starting this guide is for people like me who want a A-Z easy to comprehend guide that can help them going from one point in their skill level to the other.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 38837
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm

boyoh wrote:Here is your time scale for being a " Expert " On the Raspberry Pi

Knowing Nothing (---"Time" Programmer---) Expert ??

Knowing Nothing (----"TimeYears" Hardware Electronics----) " Expert?? " after a very long time

There is no Magic Books or formulas , Just reading and building circuits,

You will get a lot of expert advice off the Forum, Also Google
They used to say it was 10,000 hours from novice to expert.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
expandables
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Neverland with Michael Jackson

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 pm

You want to learn for free?
Open up your raspberry pi terminal and start reading the manual.

Code: Select all

man
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

boyoh
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Selby. North Yorkshire .UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Are you studying Law, Do you want to be a lawyer, I think that's where your skill is

Don't study the Raspberry Pi, It will take to long you can't make up your mind

Every starting point you are given, you want to shift the the goal post's.

If you want to continue take BMS Doug's advice
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

drgeoff
Posts: 10657
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:24 pm

I started electronics more than 50 years ago. I have a degree and a doctorate. My professional career of 38 years revolved around electronics and computers. Computer in general, including embedded devices, not just using Windows PCs. I've used Linux for 15 years. I have 6 RPis including two since June 2012. I have more than 4700 posts here.

Do I consider myself a RPi expert? No.

User avatar
expandables
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Neverland with Michael Jackson

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:14 am

drgeoff wrote:I started electronics more than 50 years ago. I have a degree and a doctorate. My professional career of 38 years revolved around electronics and computers. Computer in general, including embedded devices, not just using Windows PCs. I've used Linux for 15 years. I have 6 RPis including two since June 2012. I have more than 4700 posts here.

Do I consider myself a RPi expert? No.
Wow i wonder how old you are!
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26431
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:55 am

expandables wrote:
drgeoff wrote:I started electronics more than 50 years ago. I have a degree and a doctorate. My professional career of 38 years revolved around electronics and computers. Computer in general, including embedded devices, not just using Windows PCs. I've used Linux for 15 years. I have 6 RPis including two since June 2012. I have more than 4700 posts here.

Do I consider myself a RPi expert? No.
Wow i wonder how old you are!
:twisted:
>50 from the evidence presented. At least 58 by implication.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gordon77
Posts: 4986
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 am

expandables wrote:
drgeoff wrote:I started electronics more than 50 years ago. I have a degree and a doctorate. My professional career of 38 years revolved around electronics and computers. Computer in general, including embedded devices, not just using Windows PCs. I've used Linux for 15 years. I have 6 RPis including two since June 2012. I have more than 4700 posts here.

Do I consider myself a RPi expert? No.
Wow i wonder how old you are!
:twisted:
Never too old!

boyoh
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Selby. North Yorkshire .UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Yes you are never to old to learn, I'm 84 and still learning, infarct you never finish learning

There is a lot I don't know, There is a lot I would like to know, That is why I still keep my

Hand in Reading and building. SO " AN 732001" you have a very long way to go.

My job was a Electrical / Electronic Technician, and I'm still learning

Regards BoyOh
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

User avatar
expandables
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Neverland with Michael Jackson

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:15 pm

boyoh wrote:Yes you are never to old to learn, I'm 84 and still learning, infarct you never finish learning

There is a lot I don't know, There is a lot I would like to know, That is why I still keep my

Hand in Reading and building. SO " AN 732001" you have a very long way to go.

My job was a Electrical / Electronic Technician, and I'm still learning

Regards BoyOh
84 :shock:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 16998
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:26 pm

expandables wrote:84 :shock:
Yes, some people do live past 30 and avoid going on the Carrousel ;)

Yoda: "When 900 years you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?"
10th Doctor: "Hmm?"

Woll
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:41 pm

boyoh wrote:Yes you are never to old to learn, I'm 84 and still learning, infarct you never finish learning

There is a lot I don't know, There is a lot I would like to know, That is why I still keep my

Hand in Reading and building. SO " AN 732001" you have a very long way to go.

My job was a Electrical / Electronic Technician, and I'm still learning

Regards BoyOh
Out of interest, what was your first computer and what did you learn coding on. (Machine and language)?
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

User avatar
quipu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Haven't decide that yet

quipu

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:34 am

First learn the Linux basics: http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php Best book I have found for basics and Free (:

Code: Select all

“What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning.”
Werner H.

ghans
Posts: 7882
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:26 am

I wonder why nobody has suggested books or magazines ? I think that could help making up OPs mind on what he wants or if at all.

@an732001
Here is *the* Raspberry Pi magazine (free - in PDF format !) : www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

gordon77
Posts: 4986
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:52 am

ghans wrote:I wonder why nobody has suggested books or magazines ? I think that could help making up OPs mind on what he wants or if at all.

@an732001
Here is *the* Raspberry Pi magazine (free - in PDF format !) : http://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

ghans
I find magzines a good starting point, and with books you need to find good ones, I prefer reference types for ongoing use. I bought a popular one for Python but found it very limited use ongoing.

I find the web is much better these days. I don't claim to be an expert.

User avatar
Speedwell68
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 5:21 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 am

Expert... ...An Ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :D

Seriously though. I have studied computing up to degree level. I have studied coding Pascal, Assembler, C, Java, Javascript and HTML. I have studied I.T administration. I can build you a network. I have been using a GNU/Linux based OS for over a decade. These little computers often bring me back to square one.

I have 5 RPIs ( 1x2B, 3x1B and a Pi Zero). They are predominately used as media centres, I have one in every room. My 'Kodi Network' has taken me two years to perfect, but what I have now is proper good, something you can't buy in the shops and that is better than anything you can buy in the shops. I have setup a media server using NFS shares, I have set up a MySQL media library. I am built an ambilight clone. I have started to teach myself Python and have modded Kodi themes to meet own brief. Now I am going to learn how to code my own Kodi Addons.

My new project is simply a RetroPie games system. Again very simple, but I am sure I will find a way to over complicate it.:D After that it will be a PiZero based robot and then a Quadcopter.

My point is that whatever project you take it on it has to be something that you want and not just for the sake of it. The end result should be something that brings a positive change to your life. My kids love their RPI media centres. I have slowly been building a Movie/TV/Music collection (500+ movies, 100s of episodes of TV (all from legitimate sources). It actually fills me with joy when I heard my Daughter's friend say she was so lucky to have a TV system like this. It has also helped me teach my eldest a little about computer networking.

A good way to get involved and learn is find a PiJam or Coding Club locally. I have helped with Scratch Coding and Robotics at our local school, very informative and rewarding.

I will never become an expert, there is no such thing.

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10558
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
Contact: Twitter YouTube

Re: How to go from knowing nothing to an expert Pi user.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:58 am

just by using it , and doing stuff,
I've worked in computers for 30 years and I'm no expert
things change all the time,

so keep using it solve problem that you encounter by using google and experimenting - reading docs and doing stuff, and doing stuff and doing stuff
then see what other people are doing and see if you can help them , experiment , try , fail [we all fail ] try again ,
keep doing it you'll get better
you may even become expert in one area or another - but there will always be someone who knows more and plenty who know less.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Beginners”