ghostvet

First project- motorcycle dashboard

Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Hello,

I will be brief.

I have no programming experience but I am interested in learning.

As a first project, I want to create an electronic information Dashboard for my Goldwing motorcycle.

I want to put on perhaps a small backlit LCD display things like: 

·what gear I am in

·alternator voltage

·battery voltage

·engine temperature

·outside air temperature

·time of day

And perhaps one or two other things I haven't thought of yet.

As I said, I have zero programming experience, but I am rather handy with a soldering iron and other mechanical things.

Can you point me in the direction I would need to go (or even perhaps a member who might help me) to learn how to do this and create my own dashboard?

Thank you

PS- this was cross posted in the Projects:Automation, sensing and robotics section since this kind of fits in both topics. I hope that is permitted.

RogerW

Re: First project- motorcycle dashboard

Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:31 pm

I think you will have to research suitable sensors. The Raspberry Pi does not have analog inputs but you can use something like an MCP3008 (ADC) chip to give you analog inputs. You will probably need to use voltage divider resistors to get any voltage you measure to the range (0 - 3.3V)

>what gear I am in
This will depend on what your bike has to offer.

> alternator voltage
> battery voltage
The ADC plus voltage divider should give you this.

>engine temperature
>outside air temperature
You will need temperature sensors - there are analog sensors that again can be read by the ADC

>time of day
The pi does not have a real time clock (it usually gets the time from the internet) but there are rtcs available. You will have to make sure it is powered when the pi is switched off.

Woll

Re: First project- motorcycle dashboard

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:18 pm

There's a Honda shop in Swanley, Greater London called 21st moto who sell little LED lights for manual bikes that display which gear your in. Give them a bell.

http://www.21stmoto.co.uk
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Return to “Beginners”