monorailmedic

Can't Load Up Samba Client

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:44 am

First off I apologize for having very little idea as to what I'm doing. I'm working on setting up a Pi as a Plex Server and Torrent client, and so far things are going well.

I've run into trouble accessing a network share. The drive with media is on the network via a Samba server, and can be accessed via Windows machines on the network. I see there is a Samba client, but I can't get it to install. It seems when I try, it fails because I have the wrong version of samba-common. The version of samba-common I have however, is the version that seems to be required based on what I see when I try to install samba-client.

I also see the last line when I try to install is about having held broken packages - I'm not sure exactly the meaning behind this - apt-mark showhold doesn't yield anything.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

When trying to install smbclient:

Code: Select all

[email protected] /usr/bin $ sudo apt-get install smbclient
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 smbclient : Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5) but 2:4.1.17+dfsg-2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Current samba packages installed:

ii  samba-common                    2:4.1.17+dfsg-2      all                  common files used by both the Samba server and client
ii  samba-libs:armhf                2:4.1.17+dfsg-2      armhf                Samba core libraries

xanthor

Re: Can't Load Up Samba Client

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:08 am

This is weird. I'm running Raspbian Jessie (default, i.e. stable) with no apt-related "tweaks" (like changes to sources.list) and the smbclient package version available to me depends on samba-common 2:4.1.17+dfsg-2 (confirmed using apt-cache show) and therefore installs just fine...

RaTTuS

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:24 am

start with
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
then
sudo apt-get install -f

have you altered your package details by hand ?
what version of raspbian are you using ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

monorailmedic

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:28 pm

updated/upgraded/and fixed broken dependencies - the result remains the same.

I'm running whichever ver loads of the NOOBS installer (Linux raspberrypi 4.1.12-v7+ #825 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 6 18:36:38 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux).

I have modified my sources file, output is below.

# /etc/apt/sources.list :
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free

monorailmedic

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

So I've resolved loading up the client (still having access issues - but that's another story).

It seems the below message is poorly worded, and as such, the significance escaped me:

Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5) but 2:4.1.17+dfsg-2 is to be installed
samba-client wanted 2:3.6.6... whereas what I had was 2:4.1.17

The way the dependencies were written, my newer version wasn't good enough. I uninstalled samba-common, found the older version, loaded up that, and I was able to install samba-client.

I'm betting that if I upgrade samba-common things will work fine - the dependencies just need to be re-written.

rpdom

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:51 pm

You seem to have a mix of wheezy and jessie sources. That may be causing the issue.
This line

Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5) but 2:4.1.17+dfsg-2 is to be installed
is saying that the version of samba-common from wheezy (2:4.1.17+dfsg-2) is already installed, or is the best match.

But the version of the client it knows about must use the earlier wheezy version (2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5).

Something is a bit wrong here.

leeiio

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:57 am

Replace the sources will cause this problem i have tested, so i think you should replace the offical sources of you modified sources.

Return to “Beginners”