jscott13

Net connection?

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:16 pm

I have installed Raspian on a new PiB2 and ran update and upgrade from the command line. The OS seemed to update, there were no apparent upgrades but the software seemed to run.

I have tried running the epiphany browser (from the GUI) but can not make a connection (message indicated bad URL or not connected). I am excited to get started, have a great deal of documentation but in that I can't seem to get this browser to work I have to wonder if there is something I have missed from the start.

Thank you for your help!

UPDATE - I have noted that from time to time the WiFi stick becomes "disassociated" with my network. It seems as though it is constantly connecting and disconnecting. After restarting Epiphany a number of times I noticed I wasn't getting the same message (website not found/check your connection). It seemed as though the web browser was serving up a blank page. I checked to see if I could see the source code for the page I might be on, and indeed I could read the source code from the webpage I surfed to. To me this is odd, but I'm new with this OS.

Thanks again, hope this info helps narrow down what I'm doing wrong.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Net connection?

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:38 pm

jscott13 wrote:I have installed Raspian on a new PiB2 and ran update and upgrade from the command line. The OS seemed to update, there were no apparent upgrades but the software seemed to run.

I have tried running the epiphany browser (from the GUI) but can not make a connection (message indicated bad URL or not connected). I am excited to get started, have a great deal of documentation but in that I can't seem to get this browser to work I have to wonder if there is something I have missed from the start.

Thank you for your help!

UPDATE - I have noted that from time to time the WiFi stick becomes "disassociated" with my network. It seems as though it is constantly connecting and disconnecting. After restarting Epiphany a number of times I noticed I wasn't getting the same message (website not found/check your connection). It seemed as though the web browser was serving up a blank page. I checked to see if I could see the source code for the page I might be on, and indeed I could read the source code from the webpage I surfed to. To me this is odd, but I'm new with this OS.

Thanks again, hope this info helps narrow down what I'm doing wrong.
First and foremost use an Ethernet Cable from you Router to ensure that it is not a software issue..
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

DougieLawson

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:00 pm

That's a feature of USB WiFi power management. You need to disable that.

How it's done depends on what chipset is in your WiFi dongle.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

jscott13

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:56 pm

I wish I understood this a little better. If I connect via an Ethernet cable, why would the WiFi be needed? Are you suggesting that I reinstall the OS from the SD while connected? I installed without a connection, then rebooted with the dongle. How do I get the Raspberry to reboot from the SD (to try ethernet setup during install)?

The unit is known as RaLink I can see it when I run 'lsusb'. How can I find the chip set type in order to find the relevant reconfiguration info? I note that the config file is entirely blank, not one line on it.

I think I need more rudimentary information. Thank you both for coming to my aid.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:01 pm

jscott13 wrote:I wish I understood this a little better. If I connect via an Ethernet cable, why would the WiFi be needed? Are you suggesting that I reinstall the OS from the SD while connected? I installed without a connection, then rebooted with the dongle. How do I get the Raspberry to reboot from the SD (to try ethernet setup during install)?

The unit is known as RaLink I can see it when I run 'lsusb'. How can I find the chip set type in order to find the relevant reconfiguration info? I note that the config file is entirely blank, not one line on it.

I think I need more rudimentary information. Thank you both for coming to my aid.
No need to re-install, plugging in the Ethernet Cable will give you Internet Access.

Yes Ralink make several Wireless Chipsets, so if you post the output of lsusb would know which one it is...

Did you use NOOBS to install Raspbian ?
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jscott13

Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Yes Rasbian works perfectly, the OS was installed from a commercially supplied card. It connects (WLAN) just fine from the shell. I see my IP address, packets sent and delivered w/o issue. From the shell I have updated w/o problem (so I assume I am connected).

Once I start the GUI 'startx' I see the icon in the upper right (indicating it's searching, then on occasion finding my network). It seems to accept my password but I have no indicator of that. I start the browser, type a url and it either indicates no site/no connection, or it serves a blank page. At first I thought I was still waiting to connect to the site (various). Then I noticed it stop saying it was trying to connect, I don't know what made me think of it, but I checked to see if it would serve source code, and wump... there it is!

Odd about the browser serving the source code, but not reading the html, don't you think?

Yes, I see the full name of the chip set, and have found some forum suggestions as to modify the config file, however, mine is blank. I thought it odd I wasn't appending an existing set of instructions. So, with the config being blank I was wondering how I might I deselect this disassociation feature mentioned.

So, if your suggestion is to connect via the cable to see if it serves the page correctly I get it. But in regards to the dongle constantly dropping the connection I can't see how the ethernet cable helps me. I will run update and try configuring the dongle with the ethernet cable connected.

jscott13

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:58 pm

All is now working. I added

network={
ssid="The_ESSID_from_earlier"
psk="Your_wifi_password"
}

to the config file after running wpa-supplicant

I thought it was odd that this config file was blank.

Thanks again to both of you guys for your help!

Return to “Beginners”