Crenox

[HELP] Which one do I buy??

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 am

I want a raspberry pi but I want to make it something that I can use to just surf the web as such and maybe download steam? not to play games to browse so is there any way of installing windows and what do I need for it? I have looked everywhere but this is my last resort.

drgeoff

Re: [HELP] Which one do I buy??

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 am

You cannot have been even moderately diligent in your searching.

1. The recommended Raspbian OS comes with a web browser which is adequate for simple browsing and downloading.

2. You cannot install Windows on a RPi. If you have heard that it can run Windows 10, it is not the normal desktop version. Rather it is Windows 10 for Internet of Things.

Crenox

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:06 am

Ok thank you for this, do you know if it is possible to download android onto the pi?

ame

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 am

Crenox wrote:Ok thank you for this, do you know if it is possible to download android onto the pi?
It isn't.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 am

Crenox wrote:I want a raspberry pi but I want to make it something that I can use to just surf the web as such and maybe download steam? not to play games to browse so is there any way of installing windows and what do I need for it? I have looked everywhere but this is my last resort.
You should read the Raspberry Pi Foundation Website, it would give you an overview of what is a Pi and its capabilities:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs

There is no natively supported Android and never will be.....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

xanthor

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:09 am

For web browsing, it's much better to buy a used PC / laptop. Even old Core 2 Duo is much faster. Raspberry Pi is not suitable for doing CPU demanding tasks.

And AFAIK buying Raspberry Pi in order to run Android on it is not a good idea either. (Maybe Banana Pi would be a better choice, since it has official support for Android.)

Return to “Beginners”