root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
to

Code: Select all

root=/dev/mmcblk0p6
might be key to the problem.

When installing your 5" LCD you probably only want to add

fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:ProFont6x11 logo.nologo
to your cmdline.txt, rather than replacing it altogether.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Brybrew

Re: Reload NOOBS if screen freezes/ kernel panic /5"LCD[SOLV

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm

procount wrote:I think changing

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
to

root=/dev/mmcblk0p6
might be key to the problem.

When installing your 5" LCD you probably only want to add

fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:ProFont6x11 logo.nologo
to your cmdline.txt, rather than replacing it altogether.
I tried that and it seems to work perfect as well. Probably important to have that stuff at the end so thank you for that advice. Wonder why it changed the mmcblk0p6 to mmcblk0p2 through the screen install process?

procount

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:34 pm

It's all about partition arrangement.
If you put plain Raspbian on your SD card, then /dev/mmcblk0p1 will be the boot partition and /dev/mmcblk0p2 will contain the root file system.
(Maybe the setup program assumed this arrangement)

If you install Raspbian from NOOBS, then the partition arrangement is different.
p1 = NOOBS
p2 = extended partition
p3= noobs settings,
p4 = non-existent
p5 = Raspbian boot partition
p6 = rapsbian root filesystem.
(p5 and p6 are actually WITHIN p2)

The root= parameter on cmdline.txt tells the kernel where your root file system is located.
When it is set to p2 on a NOOBS based card you can see it is not pointing at a valid partition type (An extended partition is just a container) hence your vfs errors as the kernel can't find the rootfs.

The setup program should be a bit smarter to just ADD the required parameters for the LCD< not completely replace it with what it THINKS it should be.

Hope this helps your understanding.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Brybrew

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:07 am

procount wrote:It's all about partition arrangement.
If you put plain Raspbian on your SD card, then /dev/mmcblk0p1 will be the boot partition and /dev/mmcblk0p2 will contain the root file system.
(Maybe the setup program assumed this arrangement)

If you install Raspbian from NOOBS, then the partition arrangement is different.
p1 = NOOBS
p2 = extended partition
p3= noobs settings,
p4 = non-existent
p5 = Raspbian boot partition
p6 = rapsbian root filesystem.
(p5 and p6 are actually WITHIN p2)

The root= parameter on cmdline.txt tells the kernel where your root file system is located.
When it is set to p2 on a NOOBS based card you can see it is not pointing at a valid partition type (An extended partition is just a container) hence your vfs errors as the kernel can't find the rootfs.

The setup program should be a bit smarter to just ADD the required parameters for the LCD< not completely replace it with what it THINKS it should be.

Hope this helps your understanding.
Thanks a ton! That was very consise and relevant and helped a ton. Appreciate all the help. I'm 1 week into RPi/raspbian and feel I've learned a few things for sure.

Brybrew

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Well, not sure how I missed this but after I made the last change the touch function of the screen stopped working. Just FWIW. I think I'm just going to leave it disabled at the moment but know I can just revert back to the working cmdline.text if needed.

Return to “Beginners”