tylersong55

New to Raspberry Pi - how to do 'menus'

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:31 pm

I am brand new to the world of Raspberry Pi projects and the programming that goes with it. I have some experience in C++ coding and want to take on a project of my own. The basis of the project would be to make a display that I can edit to display different things with different menus. I realize that I will have to undergo a learning curve and many tutorials and hours of debugging at my level. But I want to know if there are any suggestions to making a simple type of display system that I can edit and rearrange to my design.

Here is what I would like to have done:
I want to have three main menus that would have different types of info displayed on them. Within these menus I want to have 5 tabs that you can switch between by moving an arrow key or external knob/scroll wheel that goes side to side. And within those menus I want to have the ability to customize as much of the display as possible. This would include a area for a picture and other arrangements within the displayed menu.

I currently don't have the Raspberry Pi 2 that I ordered and just need to know of any IDE's or compilers that can help me learn how to start this project. Are there any suggestions that you can make to start me off either in C++ or in a simple coding language? Thanks in advance!

drgeoff

Re: New to Raspberry Pi

Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 am

You could do that in html, ie web pages.

metalj

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:07 am

Check out code blocks ide. Also raspbian comes with a compiler for c & c++.
Backspace 28 times :)

tylersong55

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Would working in C++ be too hard for this kind of thing or would I want to do something else. This would be a device and not a web page

drgeoff

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm

tylersong55 wrote:This would be a device and not a web page
I don't get your point. The RPi can easily host a web server and run a browser which is only looking at your pages on it.. The browser outputs to the screen attached to the RPi.

tylersong55

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Well this wouldn't be a web based app or device. I would just want it to do one thing. And that thing would be predetermined and wouldn't change. Like I said I don't have a lot of experience besides what little I know in procedural programming and basic object-oriented programming. I guess I need suggestions about where to start with my endeavors with this project

drgeoff

Re: New to Raspberry Pi - how to do 'menus'

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:08 pm

I still think you don't understand but that is your perogative and it is no skin off my nose. :)

tylersong55

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Okay I'll bite. What are you getting at? It's hard to understand what you mean when I have never touched or developed anything involving a Raspberry Pi or networking or anything of that nature. So what is it you're trying to tell me to do because you didn't give me hardly anything to go off of.

topguy

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:09 pm

tylersong55 wrote:Okay I'll bite. What are you getting at? It's hard to understand what you mean when I have never touched or developed anything involving a Raspberry Pi or networking or anything of that nature. So what is it you're trying to tell me to do because you didn't give me hardly anything to go off of.
Part of his point is that if you haven't done similar GUI programming before then maybe developing it as a web-page would be easier. Its also something you can do without the actual hardware.

You also have to realize that the Raspberry is just another Linux computer so almost anything you can google about GUI programming in Linux is applicable. That includes using libraries like Xt, Qt, GTK+, SDL2, .NET (mono), wxwidgets, FLTK and more.

Since you haven't really specified what your previous experience is, it would be hard to recommend something suitable for you.

tylersong55

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Well that was a better set of info. Thank you. My past experience is only what I have done in my first year of college and with using Visual Basic on my own. I don't know how to use html or GUI or anything like them. I am only experienced in Basic C++ and a small amount of Java from CodeAcademy.com. I know that Linux is used on a Raspberry Pi and I just need to know what would be a good start to setting up an app or a program that uses different menus and data types. I have not had enough experience in C++ to know how menus or windows work and how they interact with each other. I kinda understand the idea of Activities that happen in Android programming but I haven't scratched the surface with that. I want to use my Raspberry Pi as a type of "Sandbox" app that I can just go through and change as something that would work on its own without using the internet and most likely mobile. I will have a wifi usb dongle but I don't want it to be dependent on the internet. I want to be able to add data into the program in a list as well in real time. I have not done anything like the ideas that I've described. My main concern is finding the right information that will allow me to learn and understand why and how things work so I can utilize the ability to change little things as I go instead of being stuck with whatever random forum code that I find. I hope this helps more to getting me more information and a good start. I guess I could try to use the online parts just as practice until I get my actual RPi but I don't want to have to switch languages as soon as it comes. Working with C++ or Java or GUI would probably be my best bet seeing the last post on here.

Thank you for helping me out.

And as a side note I am used to using the g++ compiler from the Linux Lab that I have used here on my college campus. It was helpful to me but I'm not sure what is used on a RPi.

topguy

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 pm

GCC/G++ is the standard compiler suite for Linux, also in Raspbian.

Return to “Beginners”