JakeFisher

Access home HDD from anywhere.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 am

Hi!

At home I have external USB 3TB HDD. Also at home I have a wifi, but there is no strict computer place.

So my first goal was to be able to connect to my HDD via wifi. So options were NAS box, router with USB or old computer.

But at one forum, guys adviced me to use Raspberry PI, as a server.

So I'v researched a little bit and I'v got a plan:

1. Raspberry PI model A
2. USB HUB(4+ slots)
3. WIFI module.
4. DYNDNS to be able to connect from outer world.
5. External HDD.
6. Debian + FTP server
7. Other server software like web-server, DB and other.

So as model A has only single port, and model B only 2 with ethernet, I think it is far more better to buy a model a and a hub, so I will be able to use wifi adapter, my HDD and some other devices as well.

This should be kind of 24/7 system I guess.

Is it a good plan or there are some drawbacks?

obarthelemy

Re: Access home HDD from anywhere.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 am

Hi.

Model A is not available yet, and no release date is forthcoming. You might as well start with a B ^^

Depending on what files you want to access, you might be better off using a dlna server (xbmc, minidlna...) instead off an old school network/FTP share. dlna works for media files (pictures, movies, music), is somwhat safer (you can only view, not delete) and for some reason is much speedier and less resource intensive. It is also very easy to access from almost any smart device (PC, phone, even high-end TVs).

So if it's for media files, I'd go with dlna.

JakeFisher

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am

Well mostly this is for:
1. Exactly multimedia content: films, music, photos
2. Books
3. Disc images
4. misc. files.

Generally it should be mostly as file-dump, other words personal huge-size cloud storage %).

In general, is it possible to do everything I wrote in my "Plan", except model A?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:38 pm

JakeFisher wrote:In general, is it possible to do everything I wrote in my "Plan", except model A?
Yes. The only caveat I will add is that you will want to secure your Pi if you are opening up to the outside world. You wouldn't think anyone would want to break in, but if you have valuable media on that HDD you need to protect it.

There's a thread somewhere round here about securing ssh logins. Other people have talked about something called port knocking. Others have talked about using keys instead of passwords. All good stuff, but lots to read up on.

But yes - definitely you can do all that with the Pi. I did some tests for someone else recently to see what sustained transfer rate I could get from the USB hard disk attached to the Pi through its ethernet connection. I can't remember exactly what the figure was, but I think it was about 4 megabytes/second. Enough to stream HD video, but not to multiple targets at once.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

JakeFisher

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm

1. At stackoverflow guy stressed me, the wi-fi transfer rate, so I think it would be better to use Ethernet.
2. Moreover it seems that SFTP would be better option ;)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 pm

JakeFisher wrote:1. At stackoverflow guy stressed me, the wi-fi transfer rate, so I think it would be better to use Ethernet.
2. Moreover it seems that SFTP would be better option ;)
I use tunnelier from my Windows 7 laptop. That gives ssh, sftp and secure tunneling (using a proxy server and Firefox). And it's my favourite price too. Free. There's a portable version you can put on a memory stick too. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

minitweak

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

If you set your Pi up as A LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server you could host a php application that would allow you to access, edit, download, view and upload you files.

gazmandev

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:08 am

JakeFisher wrote:1. At stackoverflow guy stressed me, the wi-fi transfer rate, so I think it would be better to use Ethernet.
Unless you have super-fast broadband, this isn't going to be an issue unless you also plan on accessing from the LAN/WLAN. But even with current N-class WiFi gear, you should be fine.

Return to “Beginners”