UnclePi

Dark Screen

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:40 am

I am using a new Pie 2 B with PSU input via micro USB from output of "official " 7" touch WVGA LCD and 8GB NOOBS SD
I do not understand which mode of video I should be trying to get, or how to edit the recovery.cmdline file in NOOBS. (I don't have a keyboard).

B.Joshi

Re: Dark Screen

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:19 pm

do you have HDMI cable ?
you can also connect pi with your laptop if u are finding difficulty connecting it to LCD screen

UnclePi

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:57 pm

I have tried connecting to my laptop with hdmi cable but can find no options to view the pie. I also downloaded (on the fourth attempt after using a different source) raspian, and also Win32DiskImage (beta) to install on a newly formatted sd card as I suspect my LCD needs the latest version to work. Mine is 2015-01-31-raspbian, the latest?

ThomasS

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:04 pm

You can't use an HDMI cable to connect your Pi to your laptop. You can either use putty or use a remote desktop server on your pi (e.g. tightvncserver) to interface with a remote desktop program on your laptop (e.g. tightvnc viewer)
ThomasS

UnclePi

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 am

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. Does this mean I have fried my Pi by connecting to the laptop? I will look into "putty" and remote servers in the mean time.

rpdom

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:24 am

It's very unlikely you would fry your Pi by connecting its HDMI Output to your laptop's HDMI Output.

B.Joshi

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am

you have 2 options .

1) connect it to LCD screen using HDMI cable.
2) with laptop using Ethernet (RJ45) cable and ssh using Putty.

while connecting to the laptop u cant use HDMI cable as Laptops dont have the capabilty to give the output. It can only accept the input. here's a way to do it : http://diyhacking.com/connect-raspberry ... p-display/ .

UnclePi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:32 pm

My LCD is connected through a ribbon see link: http://raspi.tv/2015/new-official-raspb ... n-launches
Naively I thought purchasing a NOOBS SD card was all I needed beside the power supply--it is a touch screen. It seems you need the latest version of Raspbian to make my LCD work, and I had difficulty downloading it from "here", and downloaded elsewhere did not work; not the correct version I suspect. I managed to download RASPBIAN Wheeze.ZIP yesterday at the library but was disappointed trying to write it to the previous SD card. After formatting, Windows said there was not enough room (on a 32Gb card !). More research found the solution: I first formatted with my cannon camera, this allowed windows to recognize the formerly booted partition, and again I formatted with windows and then was successful in acquiring Wheeze. With fingers crossed, I powered up... It worked, but I found I needed a keyboard to negotiate the initial touch screen. I have a roll up one (purchased in a car boot sale and never used) ... that works too. I hope this helps anyone trying out the above LCD.

Return to “Beginners”