graey

Re: Sleep Mode - and or turn off backlight?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 pm

I am currently running Raspbian Stretch and I'm using the official 7" touch display.

By default, raspbian would turn off the display (including backlights) after some timeout (30 min I believe). At some point, I installed xscreensaver to see what my options were, but eventually decided I preferred to have the screen actually turn off rather than use a screen saver. The problem is, the best I can get now that I have installed xscreensaver is to have a black screen with the backlight LEDs still on. I have tried using xcreensaver "Blank Screen Only", I have also tried "Blank Screen Only" in conjunction with Power Management and "Quick Power-Off in Blank Only Mode." But I still get black screen with backlight LEDs at full brightness.

How do I restore the original functionality of turning off the display, including backlight LEDs?

edit: I should add that I have also tried uninstalling xscreensaver, which did not revert the system back to default settings.

edit 2: I updated my firmware to 4.14.27 from 4.9.59 with no change in automatic behavior. I also have verified the existence of /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power, brightness, etc. I can also successfully update the values within these files, but they seem to have NO EFFECT at all on my screen brightness or backlight. I am also using a screen with a V1.1 controller board.

TIA!
I'm better than dirt... well most dirt. Not that fancy store bought stuff, I can't compete with that... full of nutrients and everything. -Moe Sizlack

Zoandar

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 am

May I ask if you good folks running Debian Stretch have access to the display brightness control? Reading this thread leaves me uncertain of that. I am looking to adjust my display. I am running Debian Stretch on a Pi 3 inside a "Pi-Top" notebook which has its own attached display and keyboard. When I installed the Debian Stretch with desktop image directly to the SD, there were no system controls for things like display brightness. I am now trying a re-install thru NOOBS (some of you mentioned some success in your back-light endeavors after using NOOBS). Just wondering if this might finally give me what I seek.

If not, I'll keep looking for other distros until I find one that offers these controls. I seek an alternative to the Pi-Top Polaris OS, since much of their software seems buggy when I try to use it. Their support system is, well, "abysmal" would be a good word to describe it over the past year, from my point of view.
- Zoandar -
Current:
Pi-Top Notebook with Pi 3 B v. 1.2
Older hardware:
Rpi Rev B - 512 MB with Rev 2 GertBoard

junes

Sat May 12, 2018 3:06 pm

graey wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 pm
I am currently running Raspbian Stretch and I'm using the official 7" touch display.

By default, raspbian would turn off the display (including backlights) after some timeout (30 min I believe). At some point, I installed xscreensaver to see what my options were, but eventually decided I preferred to have the screen actually turn off rather than use a screen saver. The problem is, the best I can get now that I have installed xscreensaver is to have a black screen with the backlight LEDs still on. I have tried using xcreensaver "Blank Screen Only", I have also tried "Blank Screen Only" in conjunction with Power Management and "Quick Power-Off in Blank Only Mode." But I still get black screen with backlight LEDs at full brightness.

How do I restore the original functionality of turning off the display, including backlight LEDs?

edit: I should add that I have also tried uninstalling xscreensaver, which did not revert the system back to default settings.

edit 2: I updated my firmware to 4.14.27 from 4.9.59 with no change in automatic behavior. I also have verified the existence of /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/bl_power, brightness, etc. I can also successfully update the values within these files, but they seem to have NO EFFECT at all on my screen brightness or backlight. I am also using a screen with a V1.1 controller board.

TIA!
I would be interested in the same as well. Installed the xscreensaver after initial setup, but would like to make it possible for display to turn off backlight and blank when it is not used, and wake up on next touch.

Return to “Beginners”