backmailingbox

Re: Sleep Mode - and or turn off backlight?

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 pm

GTR2Fan: 30 eur?
Greg Erskine: papers without any value. I learn my son with it how to pay in shop .

ericleejoe

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:29 pm

I have a version 1.0 Display. Sure, I would love to have some fine control over the brightness, but guess what, I don't. The foundation is not for profit and I figure the money I spent on the first version display just helps develop the next better one. I don't see anything productive about complaining over and over. My Raspberry Pi 2 doesn't have built in WiFi either, but the Pi 3 does. When it comes out, I'll buy it.

Eric

mquinteiro

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:08 am

I think that the point is if we can buy an stand alone controller to replace our 1.0 units.

My only interest is to be able to use my displays, now I can't.

So the question is:

Can we buy the 1.1 controller board?

djazz

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:21 am

mquinteiro wrote:Can we buy the 1.1 controller board?
I want this too.
I got my screen from Pimoroni back in September, and on their site they still have the 1.0 board on the photos.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:48 am

djazz wrote:
I want this too.
I got my screen from Pimoroni back in September, and on their site they still have the 1.0 board on the photos.
Sell your 1.0 screens on eBay, that will get you half way to buying replacement 1.1 screens.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

ericleejoe

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Does anyone know if the screens currently being sold on Element14 in the US are the 1.1 version?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:21 pm

djazz wrote:
I want this too.
I wouldn't use site photos as any indication of which version is actually on sale. I've seen sites keep Model B photos up long after the B+, or even the Pi2B were being sold there.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:22 pm

ericleejoe wrote:Does anyone know if the screens currently being sold on Element14 in the US are the 1.1 version?
I know someone who placed an order for a display in the last couple of days from MCM (same "supply chain" as Element14). I've asked him to check the version number when he gets it to see if it's a v1.0 or v1.1.

I dare say if you explicitly ordered a v1.1, you could return a v1.0 as not being what you ordered, but it would probably take some communication beyond the typical ordering pages. (It would really help in these situations if the companies would be a little more open about which of two versions they are carrying...but I can see why they aren't.)

ericleejoe

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:29 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
ericleejoe wrote:Does anyone know if the screens currently being sold on Element14 in the US are the 1.1 version?
I know someone who placed an order for a display in the last couple of days from MCM (same "supply chain" as Element14). I've asked him to check the version number when he gets it to see if it's a v1.0 or v1.1.

I dare say if you explicitly ordered a v1.1, you could return a v1.0 as not being what you ordered, but it would probably take some communication beyond the typical ordering pages. (It would really help in these situations if the companies would be a little more open about which of two versions they are carrying...but I can see why they aren't.)
Now THAT IS helpful. Thank you very much. I chatted with both the Newark Tech Support and Newark Customer Support folks and they couldn't determine what version was shipping. I know most people don't want to spend more money and I don't blame them, but for my project, the back light control is worth it to me.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Why not ask them.
MQTT Evangelist

ericleejoe

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:56 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Why not ask them.
I did.

nfo: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Evan'
Evan: Hello
you: Good morning. Quick question about a product
you: 49Y1712
you: RASPBERRY-PI RASPBERRYPI-DISPLAY Raspberry Pi 7" Touch Screen Display with 10 Finger Capacitive Touch
you: There are 2 version of this display, the 1.0 version (which I already own one I bought here) and a newer 1.1 version. Which version is shipping, do you know?
Evan: Sorry, I do not know which one it is.
you: That's unfortunate. Its printed on the board, but that doesn't help you since you can't see it I suppose
Evan: Sorry, the warehouse is in another state

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Buy one, if it's not the right model send it back as "not fit for purpose" (we have distance selling regulations here in Europe that allow us to do that).
MQTT Evangelist

ericleejoe

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Newark has outdone themselves. They took a picture of one of the displays they have in stock and emailed it to me They have version 1.1

backmailingbox

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:33 pm

main problem is: informations, informations, informations.
No informations when I have bought it 2 months ago.
Missing informations today.
As a buyer you don't know what you have ordered.
You don't know what you will receive.
I found that modmypi.com has now 1.1 version.
But I think that many other shops absolutely don't know anything about display versioning.
And if you have a project like me.... night alarm clock and if you try to look on this display with sleepy eyes around 2 am...
It is not very nice look.... it's useless
And there was during last 2 months absolutely no informations about it.
Now I am 50% happy because I found that 1 of my 2 displays is ok (1.1)
1.1 is reallly good display
1.0 is ....
I don't understand how Foundation can work this way
I understand that some company produce display without brightness control.
It is not standard for nowadays but ok.
They can produce such display.
No problem.
But I (as a buyer) want to know what I pay for !!!!
Last edited by backmailingbox on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm

ericleejoe wrote:Newark has outdone themselves. They took a picture of one of the displays they have in stock and emailed it to me They have version 1.1
That makes it pretty likely that MCM is also shipping v1.1.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:41 pm

backmailingbox wrote: And if you have a project like me.... night alarm clock and if you try to look on this display with sleepy eyes around 2 am...
Aha! That is also the project I'm planning. I have a headless Pi2B doing the job now and I'm planning to add a display. As my son would say..."Great minds think alike...fools seldom differ."

Dataworm

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:43 pm

What I've seen so far a lot of people (including me) want to use it for alarm clock or at least as a smart home control display. ;-)

backmailingbox

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:55 pm

what about to create new post in this forum:

raspberry pi alarmclock 1.1

:-)

ericleejoe

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:13 pm

backmailingbox wrote:main problem is: informations, informations, informations.
No informations when I have bought it 2 months ago.
Missing informations today.
As a buyer you don't know what you have ordered.
You don't know what you will receive.
I found that modmypi.com has now 1.1 version.
But I think that many other shops absolutely don't know anything about display versioning.
And if you have a project like me.... night alarm clock and if you try to look on this display with sleepy eyes around 2 am...
It is not very nice look.... it's useless
And there was during last 2 months absolutely no informations about it.
Now I am 50% happy because I found that 1 of my 2 displays is ok (1.1)
1.1 is reallly good display
1.0 is ....
I don't understand how Foundation can work this way
I understand that some company produce display without brightness control.
It is not standard for nowadays but ok.
They can produce such display.
No problem.
But I (as a buyer) want to know what I pay for !!!!
No its about expectations. You expected for some reason the display would have a brightness control. Why? Did you read the spec sheet before you purchased? You complained earlier that you had 2 worthless displays assuming they were both 1.0 versions and found out later one was a 1.1 version. Personally I'd be thrilled to know I had one that would work for my project. I had to spend $60 USD to get the display I wanted as I only had a 1.0 version, so I'll just use the other display for something else that I don't need brightness control. If I do need my 1.0 version to be less bright, I would consider a piece of smoked or tinted acrylic to make the display "softer". Be creative. Ask others for input.

Dataworm

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Does these discussions lead to anything?! I have to agree that this was a really bad story. In fact I bought the previous version after I have informed myself. In the beginning they said that brightness control isn't implemented yet but that it will follow. Also they said in the beginning that the older pi should also work with that screen but then it turned out that the i2c connection was missing (but in that case I was able to fix that with a bit soldering). So in fact, I really bought this screen because those features were mentioned. And since they said it would be implemented in future I missed the time in which I just could have sent it back.

Yeah I'm not happy about that story. I would have preferred if they would have told us a bit earlier what exactly the problem was and maybe they could have given an option to return those screens for people who bought it before the bug became public. Maybe you can contact them in some way and make a deal with them but moaning here in the forums will probably not result in any solution.

By the way, I also sold the screen on ebay. I reduced the price a little so someone (who doesn't care about brightness) could get an unused screen cheaper and I was able to borrow a new one with spending just a little bit more money... Maybe it's a try worth?! ;-)

backmailingbox

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:52 am

ericleejoe wrote:I would consider a piece of smoked or tinted acrylic to make the display "softer". Be creative. Ask others for input.
This is such funny that I am not able to write anything... no comment ... :mrgreen:

Can you send us link to official raspberry pi display specification 1.0 and another link to 1.1
where we will see this brightness difference?

I think that nothing like this exists.

But I am sure about one thing. I will not go to buy any smoked acrilic. :mrgreen:

This is my last post to this theme. It has no sence.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Dataworm wrote:Does these discussions lead to anything?
It has led to a request for the ability to buy replacement controller boards, which isn't a bad idea even if the V1.0 vs. v1.1 change didn't exist.

ericleejoe

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 pm

I can confirm that Newark did ship a 1.1 version of the display to me on 3/2/2016 and that the back light does work properly. Now my thermostat doesn't light up my entire house at night since I am putting it in sleep mode after 60 seconds of no activity. When its not sleeping
echo 255 > /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness

when it is sleeping

echo 25 > /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness

I hope this is helpful to someone.

mquinteiro

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:37 pm

I've received one from Farnell (Element14) and it's V1.1 but there is no reference about the model in the box.

brporter

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:03 pm

Could someone point me to the repo where the backlight interface can be found? I wanted to take a look at how backlight control was implemented for the RPi display.

Return to “Beginners”