ClaudioPoa

Help to decide wich OS

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:26 am

Hello,

I'm really new using Raspberry Pi 2 and I read a lot about it, but I still have some doubts, so I will really apreciate your help.

I read that depending on the use you want you will need an diferent OS, is that correct?

Well, what I want to do with the Raspberry Pi 2 is a Multimedia Centre, to send my videos or music to my TV using Kodi, also I'd like to know if it is possible whatch Netflix or Youtube running their own official apps.
Based on that what is the best OS?

Thank you very much.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Help to decide wich OS

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:19 am

ClaudioPoa wrote:Hello,

I'm really new using Raspberry Pi 2 and I read a lot about it, but I still have some doubts, so I will really apreciate your help.

I read that depending on the use you want you will need an diferent OS, is that correct?

Well, what I want to do with the Raspberry Pi 2 is a Multimedia Centre, to send my videos or music to my TV using Kodi, also I'd like to know if it is possible whatch Netflix or Youtube running their own official apps.

Thank you very much.
Netflix is not feasible due to DRM, KODI Software has a Youtube plugin available, therefore OpenElec Operating System would be my choice:

http://openelec.tv
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

betruk

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:26 am

But DRM protected videos cannot be played on media players freely. Do you know any way I can easily watch DRM videos on my portable devices?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:31 am

betruk wrote:But DRM protected videos cannot be played on media players freely. Do you know any way I can easily watch DRM videos on my portable devices?
http://www.playon.tv

This subject has been done to death regards DRM, try Googling :roll:
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

ClaudioPoa

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:24 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
ClaudioPoa wrote:Hello,

Thank you very much.
Netflix is not feasible due to DRM, KODI Software has a Youtube plugin available, therefore OpenElec Operating System would be my choice:

http://openelec.tv
Ok, due to DRM Netflix is out of question, so if OpenElec and Kodi I'll have all I need OpenElec will be my choice.

One more question.
I'm thinking about buying an acrylic case with a 3.5 LCD touch screen, does it really useful?
For example, if I want to send music to my old micro system using the auxiliary connection.

Thank you

ClaudioPoa

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:56 pm

This last question is better in another post?

Return to “Beginners”