PlanB

3G blues

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Had a go with a Huawei E169/620/800 in the PI. Sakis crashed almost immediately bleating about the modem responding to a pin request with an error. Wvdial connected but the pppd always hung after the seconday DNS was issued. In desperation I jammed the wretched 3g dongle into a 3G-to-ethernet adapter & got internet when I plugged that into the PI ethernet port. This last step seemed to involve the adapter using the Huawei more as a network interface than a modem, with it always presenting with the same 192.168.169.1 ip & it did yield 3G internet at last. Alas this last step has also stuffed the PIs DNS capability if I go back to wifi into the local ADSL router, ping 8.8.8.8 works but ping google.com won't.

It's sort of ironic because the Sakis/wvdial efforts involved a lot of mods to files like /etc/network/interfaces & yet I could always use wifi to get new files. But once I plugged the 3G-to-ethernet adapter into the ethernet port, which involved no file mods, WiFi DNS is broke. Anyone got a clue what's happened or do I just have to make a new SD card?

polioman

Re: 3G blues

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I've got few Huawei 3G/4G/LTE USB modem that work on the Pi.

On a new SD card, install usb_modeswitch, wvdial and ppp. After a reboot, configure wvdial.

Code: Select all

sudo wvdialconf
It will make a conf sample for wvdial with something like that inside /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone =
Username =
Password =
New PPPD = yes
I use this conf for 3G connection :

[Dialer 3G]
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Init1 = ATZ
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = AT
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","YOURAPN"
Stupid mode = 1
New PPPD = yes
Phone = *99#
Username = ''
Password = ''
Stupid mode=1
Check Def Route = 1
Change YOURAPN to the one you have for your network. You may have to put a username and a password too (I don't need to).

I don't have to make any other changes to make it works. I hope it will help you.

Return to “Beginners”