NewTwoThis

Can this be used to store and watch movies/music?

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:03 am

Hello people of the internet,

I had the idea of setting up a raspberry pi 2 to hold and play movies for my girlfriend, but I have some questions about the hardware and its complexity. First off how hot does the raspberry pi's CPU get? Will something like playing a movie be too much for it to take?

My second question is on the complexity of the raspberries UI. Could someone who has no prior learning operate a raspberry enough to choose and play a movie or pick out a song to play?

I hope someone can answer my questions or at the very least give me some insight into this idea.

Thank you and have a good day. :D
Thank you and have a good day

default_user8

Re: Can this be used to store and watch movies/music?

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:10 am

Research Kodi.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

NewTwoThis

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:16 am

default_user8 wrote:Research Kodi.
i will thank you :D
Thank you and have a good day

rpdom

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:18 am

Playing a movie on the Pi is one of the things the main chip was designed to do. The powerful GPU part of the chip (Graphics Processor Unit) handles all the hard work, so the CPU part doesn't have to do much at all. The best supported format for movie files is h264/mp4 format. The Pi can play those at 1080p without breaking a sweat :)

The main chip gets quite warm, but not very hot. There are ways of checking the internal temperature. Mine tend to run at between 25°C and 50°C depending on the ambient temperature. There is a safety feature which will slow the CPU down if the temperature every reaches 85°C, but that is unlikely to ever happen and shouldn't affect the playing of most movies.

betruk

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 am

Kodi (formerly XBMC) is a free and open-source media player software developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium.[3] Kodi is available for multiple operating systems and hardware platforms, with a software 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, such as audio and video podcasts from the internet, and all common digital media files from local and network storage media.

DougieLawson

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:53 pm

NewTwoThis wrote: First off how hot does the raspberry pi's CPU get?
Not as hot as an Intel processor doing the same stuff.

Most of my RPi run at 35°C to 55°C. There's a hardware limiter at 85° (185°F) that will throttle it until the processor cools. Heat is not a problem and you don't need heatsinks or fans in normal installations.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Beginners”