anakinmorgan

external hard drive

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:21 pm

New to to everything here and have powered on my Pi after installing wheezy onto the SD card signed in with the pi and raspberry did this startx thingy and now want to plug in my external hard drive to see pics i have.
This is where i fall over as the os is not seeing the hard drive

Help!

Thanks

Steve

Beerhunter

Re: external hard drive

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:47 pm

How is the hard disk connected and how is it formatted?

anakinmorgan

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm

It is just the hard drive i use in work so i am going to say NTFS as its all windows machines.
I have it connected to one of the two usb ports the pi has. (No Hub)
Any help would be great thanks guys
P.S i was searching on google and unix users are all saying something about /dev... which is romulan to me.
Mac user and Windows user:)

anakinmorgan

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 am

obarthelemy

This is why i love People who share knowledge... I dont know what any of the information means(will in time i guess) But worked for me. Thanks.

Ocean20

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

I am not sure whether I did the right thing but it was not that complicated for me. I have a powered hub and a 160GB usb drive. Once the RPi was up and running I just plugged the drive into the powered up and then in the GUI went to file manager and saw what was listed there. The USB drive was there somewhere and was given a strange name but I knew which it was because of the 160 GB size. It must have been formatted either as FAT32 or NTFS but I was able to save files to it.

Return to “Beginners”