RDK

Cleaning up the FAT partion on SD card

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Folks.....I've read numerous post about resize errors with the NOOBS SD card. Is there a right way to clean up the SD card after NOOBS has installed Raspbian on my Pi?

On the original FAT partition I have less than 100 MB left.

I've noticed in the OS folder that there are other folders for operating systems with I did not install and don't plan to install. Can these be deleted without causing problems?

I have already used this reference (http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/0 ... artitions/) to resize the system partition on my 4 GB SD card to use a full 16 GB SD card, successfully. However, that process leaves the FAT partition alone and from reading some of the comments it sounds like moving/resizing the FAT partition while also expanding the system partition will be fatal?

So, is there a safe way to cleanup or resize the FAT partition on my SD card?

Thanks....RDK

kusti8

Re: Cleaning up the FAT partion on SD card

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Which FAT partition, NOOBS has one that it boots from and Raspbian has one that it boots from?

1. Why do you want to resize it? You're not going to be using both of them, except for changing the config.txt

If you're really so concerned, don't use NOOBS and write the Raspbian image directly instead.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 pm

RDK wrote:Folks.....I've read numerous post about resize errors with the NOOBS SD card. Is there a right way to clean up the SD card after NOOBS has installed Raspbian on my Pi?

On the original FAT partition I have less than 100 MB left.

I've noticed in the OS folder that there are other folders for operating systems with I did not install and don't plan to install. Can these be deleted without causing problems?

I have already used this reference (http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/0 ... artitions/) to resize the system partition on my 4 GB SD card to use a full 16 GB SD card, successfully. However, that process leaves the FAT partition alone and from reading some of the comments it sounds like moving/resizing the FAT partition while also expanding the system partition will be fatal?

So, is there a safe way to cleanup or resize the FAT partition on my SD card?

Thanks....RDK
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

RDK

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:33 pm

fruitoftheloom...Thanks, I will study that reference.

kusti8.....My SD card has NOOBS origins. I want to cleanup that partition so I can put some of my notes and install log files on it for future reference. It is doubtful I would ever have more that 50 MB of files, but then I can remember when one questioned if it would ever be possible to fill up a 10 MB hard drive on an IBM PC.

Thanks again....RDK

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:35 pm

RDK wrote:fruitoftheloom...Thanks, I will study that reference.

kusti8.....My SD card has NOOBS origins. I want to cleanup that partition so I can put some of my notes and install log files on it for future reference. It is doubtful I would ever have more that 50 MB of files, but then I can remember when one questioned if it would ever be possible to fill up a 10 MB hard drive on an IBM PC.

Thanks again....RDK
Windows NT can not natively read / write Linux EXT partitions see: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

RDK

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:54 pm

FruitoftheLoom....I'm not wishing to do anything with the Windows "invisible" parts of the SD card. Mostly I want to clean up the FAT (ie visible to Windows) partition....RDK

kusti8

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 pm

All your files should be stored in the second partition, the ext4 one. Install some ext4 reading software on the Windows computer and you can transfer the files. Or you could transfer them over the network with something like FileZilla.

You should not be keeping files in the FAT partition.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

RDK

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:11 pm

OK, but you have not answered my question about removing files/folders from the FAT partition. Like the extra OS folders?....RDK

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:20 pm

RDK wrote:OK, but you have not answered my question about removing files/folders from the FAT partition. Like the extra OS folders?....RDK
The FAT32 partitions hold booting information and should be left as is, these partitions are not there to store data, if you remove critical information you will have to start afresh..

The Operating Systems reside in EXT4 partitions and by installing the software I linked above Windows NT can read these Partitions.

Though actually Networking is a more elegant solution to share data....
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

RDK

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:29 pm

OK. All I'm trying to do is find a way to "label" these very small micro SD cards. Right now I have several SD's with different OS configurations and then only way I can really tell them apart is to boot them up in a Pi. They are really too small to label directly. I have been using snack sized Ziploc baggies and a note card, but was looking for something better.

If I could put a small text file in the FAT partition which contains the install log data, then that would be enough. Really looking for a simple solution.

Any suggestions.....RDK

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:35 pm

RDK wrote:OK. All I'm trying to do is find a way to "label" these very small micro SD cards. Right now I have several SD's with different OS configurations and then only way I can really tell them apart is to boot them up in a Pi. They are really too small to label directly. I have been using snack sized Ziploc baggies and a note card, but was looking for something better.

If I could put a small text file in the FAT partition which contains the install log data, then that would be enough. Really looking for a simple solution.

Any suggestions.....RDK
Well that is now a different question and yes a few kb text file would AOK :roll:
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:02 pm

RDK wrote:OK. All I'm trying to do is find a way to "label" these very small micro SD cards. Right now I have several SD's with different OS configurations and then only way I can really tell them apart is to boot them up in a Pi. They are really too small to label directly. I have been using snack sized Ziploc baggies and a note card, but was looking for something better.

Any suggestions.....RDK
It's a 58MB partition with 43% used. So there's 32MB+ free.

Code: Select all

root@apollo ~ # df /boot
Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p1     57288 24408     32880  43% /boot
root@apollo ~ #
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

KLL

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:26 pm

RDK wrote:They are really too small to label directly. I have been using snack sized Ziploc baggies and a note card, but was looking for something better.

If I could put a small text file in the FAT partition which contains the install log data, then that would be enough.
that again means you need to readout the SD ( by card reader or boot )
why not label them 1,2,3,4,5
and make a google spreadsheet to log SD and OS info, mod and work info
poorly the RPI browser is not ( any more ) able to use google spreadsheet
( but your android phone is )
Last edited by KLL on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Put a small dab of coloured paint on each card. If you don't have paint handy, seek out a lady friend who has a good range of nail varnish (or nail paint or enamel or whatever it is called in your vicinity).

Return to “Beginners”