xeromage

is this what i should expect?

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:26 am

I received a Pi 2 Model B as a gift and have been struggling. I installed the OS fine, and got it to display through the HDMI with no issues. My next step was to plug in a wireless adapter and connect to the net, but after searching all over I have learned that the WUSB54GC I was using may require a powered USB hub in order to function. Some users have claimed they have been able to plug them directly into the later models somehow but provide no information on how that was done. Mostly all the sites and forums I have searched through contain the same copy-paste list that suggests the hub may be needed. After several hours I gave up in frustration and pulled the AE2500 from my desktop to use instead. It seems that, although this is a newer device, it requires less power and was easily detected in the lsusb list. It seems, however, that there are additional drivers or firmware required? So I began searching and apparently there is a workaround that may or may not work using b43-fwcutter... so, to download this workaround, I disconnect my pi from my tv, and walk it to the other side of my house to plug an ethernet cord into my router and use "PuTTY" to issue commands via ssh from my desktop, only to then find that no... b43-fwcutter can't be found/downloaded for some reason... and anyway the broadcom drivers that it would be slicing up only support "rev 3" of this model so I would probably be screwed even if I could access the tools...

I guess my question is, was this gift a white elephant? I enjoy learning new things but the main lessons seem to be "buy additional hardware" and "maybe a different version of Linux can do that". Do I need to become a master programmer before I can have any fun with this thing or what?

metalj

Re: is this what i should expect?

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:36 am

There are games in raspbian. There are book reviews and other stuff in the magpi. Stella is fun. Adafruit may have suggestions. Sonic pi gives instant gratification.
Backspace 28 times :)

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:57 am

xeromage wrote:I received a Pi 2 Model B as a gift and have been struggling. I installed the OS fine, and got it to display through the HDMI with no issues. My next step was to plug in a wireless adapter and connect to the net, but after searching all over I have learned that the WUSB54GC I was using may require a powered USB hub in order to function. Some users have claimed they have been able to plug them directly into the later models somehow but provide no information on how that was done. Mostly all the sites and forums I have searched through contain the same copy-paste list that suggests the hub may be needed. After several hours I gave up in frustration and pulled the AE2500 from my desktop to use instead. It seems that, although this is a newer device, it requires less power and was easily detected in the lsusb list. It seems, however, that there are additional drivers or firmware required? So I began searching and apparently there is a workaround that may or may not work using b43-fwcutter... so, to download this workaround, I disconnect my pi from my tv, and walk it to the other side of my house to plug an ethernet cord into my router and use "PuTTY" to issue commands via ssh from my desktop, only to then find that no... b43-fwcutter can't be found/downloaded for some reason... and anyway the broadcom drivers that it would be slicing up only support "rev 3" of this model so I would probably be screwed even if I could access the tools...

I guess my question is, was this gift a white elephant? I enjoy learning new things but the main lessons seem to be "buy additional hardware" and "maybe a different version of Linux can do that". Do I need to become a master programmer before I can have any fun with this thing or what?
What Operating System ? Was this standalone or via the NOOBS installer / chooser ?

What is the output of lsusb with the USB Wireless Adaptor plugged in ?

Where are you attempting to download the drivers from ?

On the RPi B+ & 2B the USB Bus total power is 600ma, this can safely increased to 1200ma !
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

metalj

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:37 am

Does this help at all? https://youtu.be/7cQrNl0QVFA

The older pre + models may require a powered hub. Your pi 2 should be fine unless you plug in something additional that sucks alot of juice like I did.
Backspace 28 times :)

Return to “Beginners”