RDK

Pi2: Startx problem. G2D_23

Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Folks....I am configuring a new Pi2 unit. I have started from the NOOBS SD card, installed RASPBIAN and added Samba. All seems to be working.

Then (!!!) from the console (keyboard and monitor) I tried to launch "startx". The "startx" GUI opens up partially on the monitor, that is the trash can shows and then screen jumps up and down in 1/2" (or so) increments. Right clicking with the mouse does bring up some context menus, but the normal icons for file manager, etc are NOT shown. The only way I have found to get back to the keyboard session is "cntl-Alt-delete" which brings up the "task manager" from which I can then "terminate" the "xorg" task.

When I do terminate it, the console session shows lines for shutting down "startx" with a fatal error associated with G2D_23 not being found.

I have run the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, so the system should be fully up-to-date.

Any ideas or fixes?.....RDK

AndyD

Re: Pi2: Startx problem. G2D_23

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:09 pm

RDK wrote:When I do terminate it, the console session shows lines for shutting down "startx" with a fatal error associated with G2D_23 not being found.
If you search the internet for G2D_23 not found you will find a large number of posts on this forum. Short answer is that it is harmless.

RDK

Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:26 pm

AndyD....Yes I have read/seen some of those articles. However, my STARTX GUI is still non-functional, jumping and no icons. Any idea what is going on there?......RDK

RDK

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Folks.....So no one seems to have any idea why the STARTX GUI is acting so weird???

OK, how about an alternate approach? How can I uninstall STARTX and the reinstall it? Maybe that will fix the problem.

Is there a config file for STARTX?

Yes, I'm grasping at straws here, but sometimes I really need the GUI....RDK

wgcampbell

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Same problem here - New Model B+ using noobs / Raspbian install. Only the trash can shows on the desktop and the screen jumps up and down every few seconds?

RDK

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:09 am

Folks.....In addition to the jumping STARTX screen, all of the apps and those on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen are missing. I have found and added some to the desktop, but have not found all, including the file manager. And still nothing on the taskbar. It would appear that the applications for the New Pi v2, which I'm using now, are not the same as for my previous Pi B+ versions.

Where can I find the file manager app for the STARTX GUI? How can I get the taskbar apps back?

Thanks.....RDK

RDK

Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:30 pm

Folks.....OK, more information on the jumping STARTX GUI. I started the configuration of my Pi v2 over from the 1.4.1 NOOBS and checked STARTX periodically. The issue with the GUI started after I installed SAMBA and the Samba GUI SWAT.....RDK

Return to “Beginners”