Pirathonite

RP2 drivers?

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:42 pm

I got Ubuntu Mate with all updates and it still wont play youtube videos in an acceptable framerate and other thing is that I cant change resolution in a (user-friendly-way).

Is there something I could be missing? Nothing runs like its said :)

rpdom

Re: RP2 drivers?

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:44 am

What made you think that Ubuntu would be any better than Raspbian?

Raspbian has the best support of any OS for the Pi.

Everything runs exactly as it is supposed to.

If you want you tube you can use youtube-dl and then play the videos using omxplayer, or use kweb/epiphany to play them using html5.

sweis12

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 am

I belive for it to run youtube videos properly you need to purchase the MPEG-2 codec for hardware acceleration. (I have not putchased it myself, thats what I read on the ubuntumate pi page.)

Also, did you overclock your pi on mate? I cannot figure it out .

drgeoff

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:09 am

sweis12 wrote:I belive for it to run youtube videos properly you need to purchase the MPEG-2 codec for hardware acceleration.
I believe that you are mistaken in your belief.

Youtube with html5 uses H.264 which has hardware acceleration support in all RPis without requiring additional licence purchase.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:13 am

Pirathonite wrote:I got Ubuntu Mate with all updates and it still wont play youtube videos in an acceptable framerate and other thing is that I cant change resolution in a (user-friendly-way).

Is there something I could be missing? Nothing runs like its said :)
As Ubuntu Mate is a Community Distro maybe contact the Developers, Raspbian is the defacto RPF recommened OS and a better start point IMO:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

jojopi

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 pm

sweis12 wrote:(I have not putchased it myself, thats what I read on the ubuntumate pi page.)
The statement on their web page is misleading:
To play videos using hardware accelerated decoding you will need MPEG-2 and/or VC-1 licenses from the Raspberry Pi Store. You can then use omxplayer, which uses the Raspberry Pi VideoCore libraries, to provide hardware accelerated video playback.
You need those licences for hardware decoding of those specific formats. But the most common codec for video on the internet these days is H.264, and the licence for hardware acceleration of that is included in the cost of the Pi. Most people will be able to use omxplayer without buying the extra licences.

Either they did not know about the H.264 licence, or they have worded the statement very poorly. (Or perhaps H.264 support in omxplayer is broken in MATE for some unrelated reason, but that seems unlikely.)

Return to “Beginners”