Can

VGA Monitor

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:33 pm

My old monitor is a VGA , how i use it for raspi2 ?

RogerW

Re: VGA Monitor

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Joe Schmoe

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Two comments:
  1. I don't understand why anybody continues to use or recommend any of the FooBaz Electronics, Ltd. "HDMI to VGA converters" when Gert's "666" version exists. As far as I can tell, Gert's board is cheaper, better (more effective) and much more reliable (i.e., actually likely to work). From what I can tell, all of the various "FooBaz" converters are nothing but trouble.
  2. The best way to use a VGA monitor with the Pi is using a real computer and VNC (or RDP is you are so inclined) to access the Pi. Trust me on this.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Can

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm

RogerW wrote:I use something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-S ... 258ad6344c
I think , ı will buy it.But i hear on web , this devices not gives screen.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Can wrote:
RogerW wrote:I use something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-S ... 258ad6344c
I think , ı will buy it.But i hear on web , this devices not gives screen.
Read the Pictorial Buying Guide

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83446
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

pluggy

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Two comments:
  1. I don't understand why anybody continues to use or recommend any of the FooBaz Electronics, Ltd. "HDMI to VGA converters" when Gert's "666" version exists. As far as I can tell, Gert's board is cheaper, better (more effective) and much more reliable (i.e., actually likely to work). From what I can tell, all of the various "FooBaz" converters are nothing but trouble.
  2. The best way to use a VGA monitor with the Pi is using a real computer and VNC (or RDP is you are so inclined) to access the Pi. Trust me on this.
The problem with Gert's board is that you need to sacrifice the all the GPIO to use it. The GPIO is arguably the most useful part of the Pi.

Buy a second hand slightly up market VGA monitor that also has a DVI input. They can be had very reasonable on Fleabay.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:19 pm

pluggy wrote: The problem with Gert's board is that you need to sacrifice the all the GPIO to use it. The GPIO is arguably the most useful part of the Pi.
I agree...that's arguable.
Buy a second hand slightly up market VGA monitor that also has a DVI input. They can be had very reasonable on Fleabay.
Or your local thrift/secondhand shop, friends, neighbors, garage sales, businesses that are replacing older systems. It may take a little time and some running around, but there's a lot of DVI-capable monitors out there. Also...don't forget to actually check the monitor you have. It might have a DVI connector you never noticed or used (sometimes they're in awkward places).

metalj

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm using the piview and it works perfectly. Plug and play. I haven't read much about gerts adapter aside from it technically works. Also it probably wouldn't fit in some cases/enclosures. Using gerts adapter probably requires a setup piview again plug and play.
Backspace 28 times :)

Kevin2341

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Save yourself $10 and just VNC. If you're directly linked you won't see any lag at all that is noticeable to you. All you need to do is find the IP, then SSH in, download any necessary software to do so, set up a session, and start a client on your PC. Then you have complete access to your Pi remotely all on one keyboard, mouse and monitor(s).

BMS Doug

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:56 am

metalj wrote:I'm using the piview and it works perfectly. Plug and play. I haven't read much about gerts adapter aside from it technically works. Also it probably wouldn't fit in some cases/enclosures. Using gerts adapter probably requires a setup piview again plug and play.
Yes, the Gert-VGA does require setup.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Can

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I live in Turkey , its not costs with cargo : 30$ .And it costs TRY on 100~. Another way

I buy VGA 666

Return to “Beginners”