Dev()n

Installing Tenda W311MI Pico Wireless USB adapter

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Guys!

Just got my Pi yesterday! :mrgreen:

All the way here in Cape Town South Africa :D

Im wanting to install my wireless adapter but i cant seem to get it right. Im new to linux btw :D
It's a Tenda W311MI Pico Wireless adapter. I followed instructions to update and get Ralink drivers through the terminal etc, but when i checked it said "firmware for this chipset not supported" or something to that effect.

Just wanted to check, am i doing something wrong or is this adapter not compatible with the Pi? (Debian)

Thanks! :D

hunternet93

Re: Installing Tenda W311MI Pico Wireless USB adapter

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:34 pm

The adapter might not be supported, or you might not have the correct driver installed. Debian Wheezy has much more up-to-date drivers, you could try upgrading. I had a wifi adapter that wouldn't work in the default image, installing Raspbian got it working.

roblegge

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 am

I have the Tenda W311U that worked fine on the earliest version of Debian for the Raspberry, but no longer. Although detected and installed it won't connect to the network. Run LSUSB to check the details (mine shows as an RT3870/3070 wireless adaptor) and search and install for that.

malakai

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:10 am

Not sure if this will help at all not a full linux hardware person so try if you know something about this.

It should have a Ralink 5370 chipset according to all the sites I searched.

Wheezy / Squeeze = Ralink 802.11n PCI devices are supported by the rt2800pci driver

That particular card is not listed under supported devices but maybe it is one of the unknown.

http://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

JohnCrow

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Ive just installed it on my Rpi running the lastest version of raspbian 2012-09-18

Works straight out the box, just enter my wifi network settings and connected straight away.
No extra drivers to download or anything like that.
Ive got mine plugged into a basic unpowered hub.
(Mouse into the Rpi, Keyboard and WiFi into the hub)
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't

Return to “Beginners”