joker31

Pi Capabilities: is this possible?

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:59 am

I need to make a device that is very portable that can take SD card and Copy all the files to another in a short amount of time. I do tons of Video and use Micro SD alot because of the portability. Can I make a Pi based product that will take an SD or USB drive and copy it to a Portable SSD? I dont mind having or not having a display. I would like to have a button to push to start and a LED or LCD that can tell me when its done. I figured there should be a product for it already but i havent seen one. Just trying to see if its possible before getting too far in.

Thanks

mikronauts

Re: Pi Capabilities: is this possible?

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:18 pm

You can do it if you use a USB card reader, you cannot remove the Pi's SD boot drive.

You will be limited to at most 15MB/sec copying speed due to the nature of the USB interface on the Pi/

At best, you will be able to copy a 33GB card in about 16 minutes, however it could be a lot longer.

See

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... ter-tests/

for an explanation of the USB bandwidth limitation.
joker31 wrote:I need to make a device that is very portable that can take SD card and Copy all the files to another in a short amount of time. I do tons of Video and use Micro SD alot because of the portability. Can I make a Pi based product that will take an SD or USB drive and copy it to a Portable SSD? I dont mind having or not having a display. I would like to have a button to push to start and a LED or LCD that can tell me when its done. I figured there should be a product for it already but i havent seen one. Just trying to see if its possible before getting too far in.

Thanks
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

PiGraham

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Some devices here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stand ... 4000227848

A cheap tablet or smartphone (SD with slot) and a USB disk might be an option (watch out for OTG /USB host support though. Some cheap tablets won't talk to USB storage..

Pi can certainly do it, with USB/SATA adaptor, USB SD adaptor, battery pack and a case.

You could detect the insertion of the SD card an automatically start a copy to USB HD. Flash an LED until the copy is done then automatically un-mount the drives for safe removal. Could all be done with BASH script.

One of the 'UPS' boards that let the Pi turn off it's power would be a good idea, so that it can just shut down once the copy is done.

Model 2B for the USB ports or Model A+ for size and lower power and use a card reader with built-in hub.

Massi

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:39 pm

mikronauts wrote:You will be limited to at most 15MB/sec copying speed due to the nature of the USB interface on the Pi/
considering that the source will be usb, and the target will be usb again, i'd say.. half of this :)
i don't think the pi can be a good choice for this task. It can obviously do what you want, but the 2.0 usb bus is a big bottleneck..

Return to “Beginners”