mel08

OSMC versus OpenElec

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:39 am

I have only had my RPI 2B for a couple of weeks. I am running OpenElec 5.0.8 (installed via image file, not NOOBS) on a 16gb Sandisc
I am happy with the performance of OpenElec (apart from the fact I can't get my HDD to work with it, so gonna order a powered hub to run it) but the issue I don't like is not having a web browser. Meaning every time I want to install an addon from a zip file I have to download on another pc to usb flash drive & then install from the usb flash drive plugged into the raspberry. Not difficult but would be nice to do it within OpenElec. Also don't like the fact that there is no terminal, though I have installed putty on my other pc, so can access pi RPI this way.
Someone suggested I try OSMC to run my RPI & so I just wanted other peoples opinion who have experience with both, to give me the for & against views of these 2.
What is your preference of these two & more importantly why?

I have spent a lot of time already adding my favourite addons & super favourites, so before I go any futher just wanted to know if it's worthwhile changing before I do any more. I don't suppose there is a way of saving my addons & settings I currently have so if I change to OSMC I can just bring in my saved settings, or will I have to do it all again

Thanks for your input in advance

swe_toast

Re: OSMC versus OpenElec

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:27 am

think there are plenty of these topics here on this forum i just love it when people start new threads on existing topics

mel08

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 am

Before submitting this post I entered the topic in 'search' but it brought no results

DougieLawson

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:40 am

mel08 wrote:Before submitting this post I entered the topic in 'search' but it brought no results
That's another FAQ. The search on the forum is totally useless. Use GOOGLE qualified with site:raspberrypi.org

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=osmc+ ... errypi.org
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

mel08

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:35 pm

the google search didn't really give me what I was looking for, no real direct comparisons between the two, so anyones experience/opinion of both would be good
Also want to know if I could save all my addons & configurations from OpenElec to bring into a newly installed OSMC
Finally is the RC3 stable enough or is it best to wait for the 'official release' (does anyone know when that will be)

kusti8

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:29 pm

This was the first thing that came up on Google:
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/openelec-vs ... pberry-pi/
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

mel08

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:59 pm

Yes, I read this but I wanted the opinion of others as well & I also had another couple of questions, not answered as yet

DougieLawson

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:57 pm

My preference is OpenELEC because it's more stable, it's been around for longer and to my eyes OSMC is exceedingly ugly. In the past I'd have told you to choose OpenELEC over RaspBMC on the simple criterion that RaspBMC wouldn't work with my WiFi dongle.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

swe_toast

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:11 pm

[mod edit: keep it civil]

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:42 pm

mel08 wrote:Finally is the RC3 stable enough or is it best to wait for the 'official release' (does anyone know when that will be)
See: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=114365
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

DaveDriesen

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 pm

tbh openelec still owns all at this point in time. Straightforward question, straightforward answer!

mel08

Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:06 pm

I actually like openelec but find not having web browser a pain, when I downloaded the openelec RPI config add-on I thought that would be good but don't seem to be able to do much with it, I have installed putty on my laptop but not got to grips totally with ssh, so if anyone can give good links for help of these that might help me

Return to “Beginners”