MJMcKevitt

Setting up the Raspberry Pi with an old telly. HELP!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Okay so I've searched through these forums trying to find my problems but the simple fact is I don't know my problems are. I have an old TV in my attic which accepts, what I'm pretty sure is RCA, so I connected it to my RPi. What I got the first time was a slight buzz so I swapped the two cables. Then the screen displayed a slight distorted static but nothing else. The RPi has a little green light which I assume means it's working. Anyone have any idea on this? Am I completely retarded? I'll try my HDMI connections tomorrow.

G7OEA

Re: Setting up the Raspberry Pi with an old telly. HELP!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I had a similar problem when using openelec. I may be due to refresh rate or it may be simply your telly is bust. Stupid question time. Have you tried plugging a known working composite video source in? Your dvd player may have an rca socket on the rear. another option is if you have PC monitor that has vga and DVI installed you can connect your pi to the DVI using a hdmi to dvi cable. Works a treat as that is how I am running mine. HDMI TO VGA CABLES ARE A MYTH SO DO NOT BUY ONE!

ejsolutions

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:03 pm

MJMcKevitt wrote:Okay so I've searched through these forums trying to find my problems but the simple fact is I don't know my problems are. I have an old TV in my attic which accepts, what I'm pretty sure is RCA, so I connected it to my RPi. What I got the first time was a slight buzz so I swapped the two cables. Then the screen displayed a slight distorted static but nothing else. The RPi has a little green light which I assume means it's working. Anyone have any idea on this? Am I completely retarded? I'll try my HDMI connections tomorrow.
I think that you'll find that they are audio not video RCA, that's why there are two and probably coloured red and white.

MJMcKevitt

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks to both of you guys. Technically both right. I should check a known good composite cable and preferable not use audio rca. Urgh. Stupid RS components confusing me! The answer to my question - yes, I am completely retarded. Thanks again.

MJMcKevitt

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Anyone know where I might get the right cables in the UK - I can't find them anywhere online? (probably looking for the wrong thing...again) :cry:

Mr.Dave

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm

MJMcKevitt wrote:Anyone know where I might get the right cables in the UK - I can't find them anywhere online? (probably looking for the wrong thing...again) :cry:
Any phono to phono lead should work really, RGB / Component etc

ie.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/phono-to-phono-video-lead-9619
or
http://www.maplin.co.uk/rgb-video-leads-35903

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:23 am

First, make sure your TV actually has a composite (video signal) input, a yellow one, or a SCART connector. anything else is unusable, so no "antenna input", or non compost video inputs.
Then using a reasonable quality RCA to RCA cable (RCA is also known as "tulip plug) connect the yellow RCA output of the PI to the composite input (either SCART or yellow RCA connector) of your TV. If your TV doesn't have a SCART or yellow video plug it not useable!

For sound, you connect the 3.5mm mono jack plug cable to either a set of amplified speaker boxes, or with a split cable (to two, red, and white RCA plugs) to the red and white audio inputs of your TC, or via the SCART input, using a Triple (yellow red white) RCA to SCART plug.

what you did read as if you tried to input the video signal into an audio input!

darkside321

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:04 pm

If your TV doesn't have scart or a "yellow video-in" then you can work around this with an RF modulator, they are pretty cheap (some for less than a tenner). Essentially you can run the cable from the RPi through it and it will spit out a signal along a coax cable that you can plug into your TV in the standard aerial socket...

Whether its worth the extra purchase depends how much you want to use the TV as your display really

Phixxy

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Actually the audio plug WILL work with video, as long as you connect it to video inputs. The cable is exactly the same.

Gert van Loo

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Which TV standard?
I think the default is NTSC whilst you probably need PAL.

MJMcKevitt

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 am

Thanks guys, everything's sorted. I got everything working now :D (except omxplayer :( )

Return to “Beginners”