007-half

Internet via ethernet into Windows 7 laptop

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Good afternoon all,

My pi currently has internet access via ethernet cable direct into router. I would like to move the router back to its' central location and use either a wireless dongle to the router or an ethernet cable link to a laptop running Windows 7.

Does anyone have either of the latter arrangements working? I need advice on preventing wireless interruption of wireless keyboard and touchpad (Rii mini II RT-MWK03) and/or how to configure the sharing network in Windows 7.

Thank you in anticipation.

broo0ose

Re: Internet via ethernet into Windows 7 laptop

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Regarding the WiFi interruption, try changing the WiFi channel on your router.

007-half

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks, I will try that.
Also looking at a solution using an old router found in the attic.

007-half

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 am

Cracked it, no need for extra WiFi on RPi

RPi via ethernet into Windows 7 (with Internet Connection Sharing) when laptop available
RPi via ethernet into standby router when laptop away

Thanks

recantha

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

Do you mean you are literally connecting the Pi to a laptop with an ethernet cable?
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

007-half

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Yes, ok for internet access. Still exploring what else is possible...

obarthelemy

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 am

recantha wrote:Do you mean you are literally connecting the Pi to a laptop with an ethernet cable?
Yes, that works; I've done it before and I have a couple of cables set aside just for that. Windows can act as a bridge to the Internet for the Pi, and with the "other" type of ethernet cable (I never remember which on is straight, and which one is crossed), you can link 2 PCs via ethernet directly.

007-half

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 am

obarthelemy wrote:
recantha wrote:Do you mean you are literally connecting the Pi to a laptop with an ethernet cable?
Yes, that works; I've done it before and I have a couple of cables set aside just for that. Windows can act as a bridge to the Internet for the Pi, and with the "other" type of ethernet cable (I never remember which on is straight, and which one is crossed), you can link 2 PCs via ethernet directly.
For info. it doesn't appear to matter which type of ethernet cable is used - the RPi works automatically with either

Beerhunter

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 am

The simplest way to connect you Pi to a remote router is with a pair of HomePlugs (85Mb/s types will suffice). One for the Pi and the other one plugged into the router. They will carry the Ethernet over your mains electricity wiring.

They are incredibly simple to use, you just plug them in and they work out of the box. No setup required.

DeFrivoleFramboos

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi,
I read through this post and I'm trying the same concept.
Making a bridge from my laptop to the Raspberrypi with an ethernet cable.
For some reason the pi still can't get on the internet.
I changed a 'share' option in my network. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do to make it work?

DeFrivoleFramboos

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Ok, I managed to do it already. The share option had a subthing and I had to select LAN and then reboot and it worked. Now I need to figure out how I can get my dwa-131 to work.

GuitarAgent007

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi I'm not the biggest computor wiz and I've been reading these posts and would like some help as this is just what I need. I would like to do this with my PC, so would someone mind taking me through the steps of setting my PC up to allow my Pi to connect to the internet please.
GuitarAgent007

GuitarAgent007

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Please can someone tell me where and what I need to do to get this running as this will be a big help.

Thanks
GuitarAgent007

quotschmacher

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

obarthelemy wrote:Windows can act as a bridge to the Internet for the Pi, and with the "other" type of ethernet cable (I never remember which on is straight, and which one is crossed), you can link 2 PCs via ethernet directly.
Hi! Could you tell me what settings are neccessary on the Pi to do this? I'm trying the same with the new Raspbian-Image but I can't get any internet connection...

DeFrivoleFramboos

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 pm

quotschmacher wrote:
obarthelemy wrote:Windows can act as a bridge to the Internet for the Pi, and with the "other" type of ethernet cable (I never remember which on is straight, and which one is crossed), you can link 2 PCs via ethernet directly.
Hi! Could you tell me what settings are neccessary on the Pi to do this? I'm trying the same with the new Raspbian-Image but I can't get any internet connection...
Hi, it sometimes depends on the which raspbian version it is. I made a Raspbian "Wheezy" SD-card a few days ago, with that one I can't get a connection, I also bought a premade SD-card online, but I'm not really sure which version is on there, but with that one it works.

So can anyone help us out how to do it with any OS?

Return to “Beginners”