kameleon

Multiple AP Pi

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:44 pm

I have followed the tutorial here: http://alphaloop.blogspot.com/2014/01/r ... s.html?m=1 to setup my Pi (Original Pi B running latest raspbian) as an access point that tunnels everything through an OpenVPN connection. However I am trying to make it to where there are multiple connections available. For example SSID_1 connects to OpenVPN_1 that is on my home network while SSID_2 connects to OpenVPN_2 which is at my work and SSID_3 connects to OpenVPN_3 which is on a VPS in the cloud. I know I will probably have to use something besides udhcpd for DHCP as it appears to only support one scope.

My issue right now is I cannot for the life of me get multiple SSID's working. Either with a single wifi adapter or multiple. I have a Panda PAU03 and a Netis WF-2111 (RT5370 and RTL8188CUS chipset respectively). I can add the configuration for the wlan1 to the hostapd.conf but then it fails to start. Looking at /var/log/syslog it gives me no useful information. I did read somewhere when I was trying to do multiple SSID on a single adapter with wlan0_0 and such that the raspberry pi would not allow more than one vif to be active at a time. So I am trying with multiple adapters now.

Is this something that is even remotely possible? I would love to have the ability to just travel with my Pi and depending on which connection I needed just connect to that one.

dmarcia

Re: Multiple AP Pi

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:07 am

Hi, I have similar problem so we hope someone could help us out. My project is turning RPI to became a wifi router. Using single wifi adapter it is successfully advertise the said, and from other device i can connect to it and get internet access. Now I try to use 3 wifi adapter (adruino) to advertise 3 different ssid/network. I totally have no idea what do I need to configure. When I run Ifconfig i can see there are wlan0, wlan1 and wlan2. I tried to put another interface wlan1 in hostapd.conf file but then only that ssid from wlan1 is up. I really want those 3 said up and working, please someone give us a guide. Thanks.

kameleon

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:27 am

I have tried the directions here: http://wiki.stocksy.co.uk/wiki/Multiple ... th_hostapd, also to no avail. I'm beginning to think that the RPi cannot do multiple APs (or vap) or even SSID. I really am hoping that someone can prove me wrong and provide a working or at least repeatable config. Anyone?

dmarcia

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:48 am

Hi Kameleon,

Me too I've been struggling with this everyday for a month, doing my project degree in IT netsec. So... I dont think multiple ssid using single/multiple wireless adapter works in single raspberry pi. The problem is, the hostapd file seems can run only 1 wlan interface at a time, unless we can duplicate hostapd.conf file and run them at the same time which is not be possible. This morning I just ask my proffesor and he just recommend me to use multiple RPI with its wifi adapter to advertise each ssid. I also tried the guide from the link you provided, no success. :| Unless we are wrong and someone can actually run it in a single RPI.

betruk

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:00 am

kameleon wrote:I have tried the directions here: http://wiki.stocksy.co.uk/wiki/Multiple ... th_hostapd, also to no avail. I'm beginning to think that the RPi cannot do multiple APs (or vap) or even SSID. I really am hoping that someone can prove me wrong and provide a working or at least repeatable config. Anyone?
That's odd, this is what leads my success at my side.

kameleon

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 am

betruk wrote:
kameleon wrote:I have tried the directions here: http://wiki.stocksy.co.uk/wiki/Multiple ... th_hostapd, also to no avail. I'm beginning to think that the RPi cannot do multiple APs (or vap) or even SSID. I really am hoping that someone can prove me wrong and provide a working or at least repeatable config. Anyone?
That's odd, this is what leads my success at my side.
So you have multiple SSID's working on a single usb adapter? If so may I ask what adapter you used, and what configuration you have. I would like at least 3 SSID's while 5 would be ideal if that is even possible.

kameleon

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Ok, now that is just ODD. I just tried it again and what do you know.... it worked! I now have 5 SSID's running on my single RPi and single Panda PAU03 (RT5370 chip) wifi adapter. All I did was follow the steps on that last link I posted step by step. I did 'sudo su' before doing them though. That may have been my problem before, that I may not have used root. Now to tackle the DHCP and OpenVPN side of things.

Return to “Beginners”