TheLucidDreamer

Youtube Issues

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:05 am

I just got my Pi 2 today and I have been having issues with watching Youtube in the Raspian Browser or Chromium. I prefer to use Chromium but i recently found an article for Steven Hickson's youtube player. It gives me the command i need to enter in but I'm not sure what to enter in to install Steven Hickson's youtube player.
Here is the command
"sudo apt-get install git-core
git clone git://github.com/StevenHickson/PiAUISuite.git
cd PiAUISuite/Install/
./InstallAUISuite.sh"
would i type the command exactly the way it shows. Or no? I just need a little instruction.
Also if there are any other solutions I am open to opinions.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Youtube Issues

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 am

TheLucidDreamer wrote:I just got my Pi 2 today and I have been having issues with watching Youtube in the Raspian Browser or Chromium. I prefer to use Chromium but i recently found an article for Steven Hickson's youtube player. It gives me the command i need to enter in but I'm not sure what to enter in to install Steven Hickson's youtube player.
Here is the command
cd PiAUISuite/Install/
./InstallAUISuite.sh"
would i type the command exactly the way it shows. Or no? I just need a little instruction.
IF you have installed Raspbian Operating System then kweb minimal kiosk browser should be able to play most Youtube Videos, read the PDF manual first

viewtopic.php?t=40860
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

TheLucidDreamer

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
TheLucidDreamer wrote:I just got my Pi 2 today and I have been having issues with watching Youtube in the Raspian Browser or Chromium. I prefer to use Chromium but i recently found an article for Steven Hickson's youtube player. It gives me the command i need to enter in but I'm not sure what to enter in to install Steven Hickson's youtube player.
Here is the command
cd PiAUISuite/Install/
./InstallAUISuite.sh"
IF you have installed Raspbian Operating System then kweb minimal kiosk browser should be able to play most Youtube Videos, read the PDF manual first

viewtopic.php?t=40860
So the epiphany web browse can play YT videos. So the kiosk browser is a different browse from epiphany browser the comes default on the raspberry pi desktop?

Joe Schmoe

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:02 pm

I figure that if the kweb was as good as some people seem to think it is, it'd be the default, bundled browser.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:I figure that if the kweb was as good as some people seem to think it is, it'd be the default, bundled browser.
The OP stated in original post "Raspian Browser or Chromium." as I have not got any idea what the first is and the second is obsolete version, that is why pointed to kweb ;)

Now JS as per usual you are cherry picking posted information :roll:

kweb is not better than Epiphany just an alternative, they both share the same browser engine :shock:

That being said, if YT is set to HTML5 (which should be the default anyway) it will play most
Videos (but the usual caveats of region, protected content etal apply) in IceWeasel, Web
(Epiphany) Browsers and kweb :D

TheLucidDreamer

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:13 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:I figure that if the kweb was as good as some people seem to think it is, it'd be the default, bundled browser.
The OP stated in original post "Raspian Browser or Chromium." as I have not got any idea what the first is and the second is obsolete version, that is why pointed to kweb ;)

Now JS as per usual you are cherry picking posted information :roll:

kweb is not better than Epiphany just an alternative, they both share the same browser engine :shock:

That being said, if YT is set to HTML5 (which should be the default anyway) it will play most
Videos (but the usual caveats of region, protected content etal apply) in IceWeasel, Web
(Epiphany) Browsers and kweb :D
ok so what browser would you recommend to get an overall superior browsing experience? and if you could provide how to install which browser you would recommend.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:28 am

TheLucidDreamer wrote: ok so what browser would you recommend to get an overall superior browsing experience? and if you could provide how to install which browser you would recommend.
The problem is that the way you phrased your question implies that you are looking for a "superior experience" and that just doesn't exist. Instead, you have to look at it as $35 computer and realize that all the browser choices are bad - kind of like the crappy browsers that people live with on their phones and tablets.

The always perceptive but always cynical Dougie Lawson recently had this to say about the browser choices on the RPi:

Epiphany (aka web) is OK and fast, but full of bugs.
Iceweasel is so slow it's borderline unusable
Chrome is also slow.
Midori is awful and slow.

Now, as it turns out, none of the OS/browser combinations that I've tried on the Pi (and I've tried most of them) gives a decent YouTube experience. Ubuntu Mate with whatever browser it runs (I think it is Chromium) *almost* worked, but soon went choppy. The only method that does work for YouTube (this is the method used by kweb and others) is to feed the URL to a combination of youtube-dl and omxplayer. So, essentially, you are end-arounding your browser. Thus, I don't count this as "playing YouTube in the browser".
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:41 am

Joe Schmoe wrote: Now, as it turns out, none of the OS/browser combinations that I've tried on the Pi (and I've tried most of them) gives a decent YouTube experience.
I concur. Epiphany is useless (full of bugs and prone to crash spontaneously). Midori is a good general purpose browser (but NOT video viewer); very stable, but limited features. Chromium is also a good general purpose browser (but also NOT video viewer). If I need to watch videos I use my Mac, or my T61 and Mint Linux.

By the way, this is not an RPi 'fault'. Its about the proprietary nature of YouTube, and the Flash app(s) and plugins. Adobe is evil, as is Flash. When the Internet is completely HTML5 (cannot happen soon enough) this problem should improve across the board.
marcus
:ugeek:

TheLucidDreamer

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:09 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
TheLucidDreamer wrote: ok so what browser would you recommend to get an overall superior browsing experience? and if you could provide how to install which browser you would recommend.
The problem is that the way you phrased your question implies that you are looking for a "superior experience" and that just doesn't exist. Instead, you have to look at it as $35 computer and realize that all the browser choices are bad - kind of like the crappy browsers that people live with on their phones and tablets.

The always perceptive but always cynical Dougie Lawson recently had this to say about the browser choices on the RPi:

Epiphany (aka web) is OK and fast, but full of bugs.
Iceweasel is so slow it's borderline unusable
Chrome is also slow.
Midori is awful and slow.

Now, as it turns out, none of the OS/browser combinations that I've tried on the Pi (and I've tried most of them) gives a decent YouTube experience. Ubuntu Mate with whatever browser it runs (I think it is Chromium) *almost* worked, but soon went choppy. The only method that does work for YouTube (this is the method used by kweb and others) is to feed the URL to a combination of youtube-dl and omxplayer. So, essentially, you are end-arounding your browser. Thus, I don't count this as "playing YouTube in the browser".
so for overall browsing aside from YT what browser would you recommend from personal experience or the most stable for RPi?

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:22 am

TheLucidDreamer wrote:So, for overall browsing aside from YT what browser would you recommend from personal experience or the most stable for RPi?
I support the Midori team. Midori is quite good for stable reliable operation, which is clean and relatively fast (on the 2B).
marcus

TheLucidDreamer

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:46 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
TheLucidDreamer wrote:So, for overall browsing aside from YT what browser would you recommend from personal experience or the most stable for RPi?
I support the Midori team. Midori is quite good for stable reliable operation, which is clean and relatively fast (on the 2B).
ok and to install Midori i would just go to the terminal and put in the "sudo apt-get install midori"?

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:50 am

TheLucidDreamer wrote: ok and to install Midori i would just go to the terminal and put in the "sudo apt-get install midori"?
Yes...

... you will get two entries in your menu drop downs for Internet... Midori, and Midori Private Browsing.
marcus

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:21 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote: Now, as it turns out, none of the OS/browser combinations that I've tried on the Pi (and I've tried most of them) gives a decent YouTube experience.
I concur. Epiphany is useless (full of bugs and prone to crash spontaneously). Midori is a good general purpose browser (but NOT video viewer); very stable, but limited features. Chromium is also a good general purpose browser (but also NOT video viewer). If I need to watch videos I use my Mac, or my T61 and Mint Linux.

By the way, this is not an RPi 'fault'. Its about the proprietary nature of YouTube, and the Flash app(s) and plugins. Adobe is evil, as is Flash. When the Internet is completely HTML5 (cannot happen soon enough) this problem should improve across the board.
As I stated Youtube default is HTML5 and has been that way for some time, you obviously missed the announcement ;)

There is no best, better or good, though if you just want Youtube maybe a distro like OpenElec which has the KODI interface would suffice.

If you want Raspbian then would say again try kweb.

Though actually finding out yourself if any solution is acceptable is far better than hypothisizing and regurgitating a topic which has been flogged to death :shock:

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:26 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: As I stated Youtube default is HTML5 and has been that way for some time, you obviously missed the announcement ;)
There is a nuance here that must be emphasized... 'default' for YouTube is a very different colored horse than, 'most YouTubes use <whatever>' !

Most YouTubes require an Adobe plugin to be viewed/ unfortunately this is true and will take some time to reverse. Again, Flash is evil and must be replaced... not just as a default... but the user community must insist that Adobe Flash die.
marcus

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:38 am

Whatever, if the OP bought the Raspberry Pi hoping to replace a Desktop PC out-of-the-box then he will be disappointed, but as already stated the OP needs to actually undertake experimenting with the various options put forward and learn along the way, that what a RPi is for ;)

Depends on expectations, I do not expect and therefore use an Android Device & Chromecast :shock:

gkreidl

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:00 am

I usually don't "defend" my Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb), but some information provided in this thread is simply wrong and obviously the people who posted this neither tested it nor read the manual.
I figure that if the kweb was as good as some people seem to think it is, it'd be the default, bundled browser.
No, kweb's concept never was to replace a full-fledged desktop browser (no tabbed browsing, no integrated bookmark or history databases, no auto-completion of URLs etc.).

Engine and stability: kweb comes in two flavors (kweb and kweb3), which are exactly alike, but use different engine versions: kweb uses (the old!) webkit1 engine, same as Midory and is completely stable. kweb3 uses the new, accelerated webkit3 engine (same as epiphany) and therefore has the same bugs as epiphany (and gets better with every epiphany update).

kweb(3) is fast and slim (only about 40 KB binaries) and it's concept is, not to do everything in the browser itself (therefore "Minimal"), but use other tools best suited for it: mupdf/xpdf/evince for PDF support, wget/uget for downloads, omxplayer(GUI) for video etc. These tools do not only do a better job, but give an additional advantage on the RPi 2: they run as different system processes, don't block the browser and therefore this solution makes a really good use of the multiple cores of the ARMv7 (webkit engines are not multithreaded and use only one core). And with the help of youtube-dl it can play flash based web video from more than a hundred video websites.

Despite its simplicity it gives the user more control over the browsing process by switching some very important features on and off as you need them with a single mouse click : Javascript, Cookies, Zoom method etc.. This can improve the browsing speed sometimes by a few hundred percent.

The main purpose of the kweb development was to create a browser based frontend for embedded applications and it has some unique features for that (command execution links). I use it it mainly as a desktop replacement myself with a few simple html files to completely control my RPis and as frontend for my media and TV servers. I wrote it for my own use and never imagined that tens of thousands of people would be using it.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:01 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Whatever, if the OP bought the Raspberry Pi hoping to replace a Desktop PC out-of-the-box then he will be disappointed, but as already stated the OP needs to actually undertake experimenting with the various options put forward and learn along the way, that what a RPi is for ;)
Yes, yes. I have been doing 'just that' for the past two months; I turned my mac off, I turned my T61 off; for the most part. The experiment has been (and will continue to be for the duration of the summer) to use my RPi 2B (Raspbian as is) as my sole desktop computer for everything from mail to prototyping, from LibreOffice to hardware controller, from general browsing to forums|blogs. Using it even now.

So far I can honestly say that the only real disappointment has been YouTube. I didn't realize how many YouTubes I view until I couldn't really do that with the Raspberry PI. This is the downside of Raspbian as a gnu/linux distro. But, its not a bad thing. It only emphasizes the evil of proprietary software. Video (because of the evil NVidia, and the evil Adobe) continues to be the bane of gnu/linux specifically, and open and free software generally.

For the most part I can honestly say that for 'most' other desktop uses the RPi is a famously brilliant system and most useful as an inexpensive alternative to desktop computing. Really.
marcus

betruk

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:15 am

TheLucidDreamer wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
ok and to install Midori i would just go to the terminal and put in the "sudo apt-get install midori"?
That works for me, thank you a lot.

ktb

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:By the way, this is not an RPi 'fault'. Its about the proprietary nature of YouTube, and the Flash app(s) and plugins. Adobe is evil, as is Flash. When the Internet is completely HTML5 (cannot happen soon enough) this problem should improve across the board.
Yeah, but then for some videos, users would also want things like Chrome's Widevine Content Decryption Module and/or Firefox's Adobe Primetime Content Decryption Module to work on Linux-ARM.

VLC's MMAL and OMX IL vout plugins along with the VLC NPAPI plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel might be nice also. AFAIK, H264 video support is horribly broken in VLC on the Pi's.

sampo

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Would be really nice to get youtube working in the browser, either in chromium or firefox ( im running ubuntu mate currently).
With those browsers we could use Youtube TV (formerly known as Leanback) which is amazing way to remote control youtube with phone/tablet/laptop www.youtube.com/tv

I have it working in chromium and firefox (after you enable media extensions in about:config), but performance is very poor.
Is there any work ongoing to get youtube video GPU accelerated?

Or is there a way to hack chromium to start videos automatically in youtube-dl and omxplayer when in youtube tv mode?

kusti8

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:45 pm

That's where kweb is really useful. Click a button and it automatically downloads the youtube video and plays it in omxplayer. It works well on Ubuntu.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gkreidl

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:10 pm

kusti8 wrote:That's where kweb is really useful. Click a button and it automatically downloads the youtube video and plays it in omxplayer. It works well on Ubuntu.
It doesn't download or pipe it, youtube-dl is only needed to extract the video URL and theb omxplayerGUI directly plays the stream from that URL.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

kusti8

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:00 am

gkreidl wrote:
kusti8 wrote:That's where kweb is really useful. Click a button and it automatically downloads the youtube video and plays it in omxplayer. It works well on Ubuntu.
It doesn't download or pipe it, youtube-dl is only needed to extract the video URL and theb omxplayerGUI directly plays the stream from that URL.
Ah, didn't know that you youtube-dl only extracted the link. :oops:
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

sampo

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:07 am

The point was without any interaction on raspberry pi, try it yourself for example with computer and smartphone. go here with web browser (chrome or firefox with media extensions enabled in about:config)
www.youtube.com/tv

Does kweb even support this page?

gkreidl

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:43 am

This requires a special interface or app. On my desktop computer It neither works in Firefox or Opera, only in Google-Chrome browser (no surprise).

Return to “Beginners”