PowerHaulJack

Internet via ethernet into Mac

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Evening everyone,

Received my pi today, and loving it! Not done much yet - only really booted up the LXDE environment so far, but will be doing much more when I learn more about it. One thing I'm wanting to do, however, is connect it to the internet. I've got an ethernet lead, and wanting to connect it to my Macbook which gets a good WiFi connection. As my Pi won't be near the hub, is it possible for me to access wifi via my Mac using an ethernet cable or is it a bit harder than that?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jack

Blaster391

Re: Internet via ethernet into Mac

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm

I am using the Debain sqeeze OS and I would like to do the exact same thing but a Win7 computer, so if you could help with either OS it would be appreciated.

My setup is My Pi wired through Ethernet to my Win7 computer which is connected to my router through a wireless dongle.

PowerHaulJack

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Same scenario here mate, just different operating systems. Keep an eye out here - hopefully we'll be preached by the knowledgable ones soon.

wallacebiy

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 pm

firstly , if you want to do this you'll have to get an ethernet crossover cable ( both ethernet ports , on the mac/winbox and on the pi will be wired the same ,so communication isn't possible with a normal cable on a router the port is wired backwards )
You can make one , by crossing the pairs and terminating a length of cat5 cable . Google that because I can't remember the exact instructions for it .

Secondly on the host computer ( mac or windows ) you'll have to go into the internet sharing panel ,and create an ad-hoc network to share your internet connection over .

You should then be able to start networking from the pi , it'll treat the host computer as a router , and the host will pass it's network connection to the pi .

Still an ugly solution , best bet would be to get a longer ethernet cable and wire it to where the pi is going to be from the router !!

Waits for the barrage of corrections to my advice from those more learned than me ......

Blaster391

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks, I will give it a go, if I don't find a Debian driver for this dongle I have just found.

PowerHaulJack

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Thank you for that. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

Imotor

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Sharing your Mac Internet connection could not be easier. You don't need a crossover cable, your Mac will auto-negotiate with a regular patch cable.

Go to System Preferences, select Sharing, select Internet Sharing from the service list, put a check mark next to Ethernet in the port list, and make sure there is a check mark next to Internet Sharing.

That's it.

PowerHaulJack

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for that. I've connected my Mac upto my Pi, and set up the Mac like you've suggested and that's fine. Now, my Pi still cannot find internet, so I'm thinking I need to do something in the Terminal? Sorry for the questions...

wallacebiy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am

Imotor wrote:Sharing your Mac Internet connection could not be easier. You don't need a crossover cable, your Mac will auto-negotiate with a regular patch cable.

Go to System Preferences, select Sharing, select Internet Sharing from the service list, put a check mark next to Ethernet in the port list, and make sure there is a check mark next to Internet Sharing.

That's it.

Did not realise the mac would automatically crossover ... Nice ...

CrazyEoin

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 am

PowerHaulJack wrote:Thanks for that. I've connected my Mac upto my Pi, and set up the Mac like you've suggested and that's fine. Now, my Pi still cannot find internet, so I'm thinking I need to do something in the Terminal? Sorry for the questions...
I had a similar problem but then realized I had the sharing setting 'backward' on the mac, I was stupidly sharing the macs ethernet with the Pi, which made no sense when I went to trouble shoot it.
Heres a picture of how it should look:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 12.43.34.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 12.43.34.png (47.75 KiB) Viewed 12839 times

Beerhunter

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

The simplest solution if the Pi is not near your router is to use a pair of HomePugs.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Beerhunter wrote:The simplest solution if the Pi is not near your router is to use a pair of HomePugs.
Simple. But not cheap... (Right?)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

oliverhanisch

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 am

Dear Members,

Here is how I did it:

I am connected with my MacBook via airport to the downstairs router.
Connect raspberry to MacBook with a straight through patch cable (it crosses over automatically since it senses "device to device") like said in a previous post.

Opene the mac sharing pane click on "internet sharing" then "ethernet" n the right hand box.
In the network pane the DHCP would not recognize the raspberry even after reconnecting and rebooting.
So I just checked my airport IP address and typed it in the "eithernet"connection pane choosing "Using DHCP with manual address" and voila it showed "eithernet connected" and I had internet on my raspberry pi.
In fact, I am sending all of this through my raspberry right now.

File sharing was as easy, just click on file sharing in the sharing pane and check the ftp address and type it in the file explorer of the raspberry.

See two panes attached:
Screen shot 2013-01-18 at 1.12.01 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2013-01-18 at 1.12.01 AM.jpg (34.07 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
Screen shot 2013-01-18 at 1.12.12 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2013-01-18 at 1.12.12 AM.jpg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
Cheers
Ollie

ds1239

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:19 am

Hey. So I have the internet sharing set up like the picture, and it is still not working. Help?

LouiSiana

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 pm

oliverhanisch wrote: Opene the mac sharing pane click on "internet sharing" then "ethernet" n the right hand box.
In the network pane the DHCP would not recognize the raspberry even after reconnecting and rebooting.
So I just checked my airport IP address and typed it in the "eithernet"connection pane choosing "Using DHCP with manual address" and voila it showed "eithernet connected" and I had internet on my raspberry pi.
In fact, I am sending all of this through my raspberry right now.

Cheers
Ollie
I was having problems getting my Imac to share its internet access from the Airport thorough the ethernet port to a Raspberry Pi. Thanks for this, it was the solution.

kylebehse

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:39 am

oliverhanisch's patch worked for me! Thanks!

cyrano

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:19 pm

PowerHaulJack wrote: As my Pi won't be near the hub, is it possible for me to access wifi via my Mac using an ethernet cable or is it a bit harder than that?
Simple:

- Share your Wifi connection over ethernet (System prefs->Sharing->Internet sharing).
- Plug RPi into ethernet and make sure it asks for a DHCP address (that's the default if you haven't setup anything different).

Return to “Beginners”