geneworld

Just got a RP2 question about overclocking?

Mon May 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Hey guys I've run into a question when it comes to the overclocking options when it comes to the new Raspberry Pi 2. I've looked online and haven't found a definitive answer yet!

I just picked up a Model 2 and when i went to the overclocking settings i found that that the default "None" setting is the same as for a Model 1. I know the specs for the Model 2 is 1GHz and I see that there is a Pi2 option showing that but i just wasn't sure if that counted as overclocking or if that counts as the default setting. :?:

I included a picture for reference.

*Not my image (tweaking4all.com)

Thanks!
1 B R1
4B R2 IR
1B+ USB Boot/RetroPie2.6/KODI
1Pi2 USB Boot/Media Server/Torrent Box
1Pi Zero Web-based universal remote control
2Pi Zero Misc.
1Pi3 USB Boot/RetroPie3.6/KODI/pianobar

fruitoftheloom

Re: Just got a RP2 question about overclocking?

Mon May 11, 2015 3:17 pm

The only setting applicable to the Pi2 is the Pi2 setting

By default the Pi2 is 900MHz

Yes it would of better if they spilt the settings to make it clearer ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

beta-tester

Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:The only setting applicable to the Pi2 is the Pi2 setting...
what happens, if somebody accidently uses one of the RPi(1) overclocking settings on a RPi2... ?
will the RPi2 then under-clock or in case of Turbo over-voltage the CPU, overclock the SDRAM and may void its waranty, because these values then are out of specs???

BTW. the "None" overclocking option should remove all overclocking options from the config.txt file (or comment them out). but i think the "None" overclocking option will set the clocking options to 700MHz... that is very wrong in case of RPi2.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

geneworld

Mon May 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Oh alright i think i understand a little better thanks!...I'll have to mess around with these to see what they do with the config.txt file.

I plan on having this run 24/7 and just wanted to make sure that i wasn't going to be overclocking it causing it to overheat or hang up.
:D
1 B R1
4B R2 IR
1B+ USB Boot/RetroPie2.6/KODI
1Pi2 USB Boot/Media Server/Torrent Box
1Pi Zero Web-based universal remote control
2Pi Zero Misc.
1Pi3 USB Boot/RetroPie3.6/KODI/pianobar

klricks

Mon May 11, 2015 7:38 pm

geneworld wrote:Oh alright i think i understand a little better thanks!...I'll have to mess around with these to see what they do with the config.txt file.

I plan on having this run 24/7 and just wanted to make sure that i wasn't going to be overclocking it causing it to overheat or hang up.
:D
Any amount of OC is not guaranteed to be stable. You have to try it and see what level of OC if any, works on YOUR RPi. If you have hangs, SD card corruption etc., then reduce OC and try again.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”