SynonZelra

possibility to charge while using?

Sat May 09, 2015 5:42 am

hi everyone

I'm looking for some IC or board to manage the battery that can charge it while the pi is on.

There are tons of DC-DC charging boards but must be off when charging.

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: possibility to charge while using?

Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 am

There are lots of ways to do this. I like the method we use on the sail boat; its a two batt system with a manual (or electronic) switch-over. Basically, one batt is being used while the other batt is being charged.
Both batts are connected to the PI... the batt you're going to charge is switched to the charger, which first disengages that batt from the PI.
So, you're on BOTH, (A), or (B). When running on A you're charging B, and visav...

Charging can be solar, wind, whatever... or generator.

Another solution would be to have a DC-DC converter coming off of the batt-charger combo that would provide the proper voltage to the RPi regardless whether the charger is connected or on (charger is usually a higher voltage than the batt).

I would go with a two batt system for efficient charging and for isolation.
marcus
:ugeek:

hampi

Sat May 09, 2015 7:41 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:I would go with a two batt system for efficient charging and for isolation.
The OP did not specify what kind of battery is needed. With a sealed lead acid battery and small solar panel you can do with one battery only. This is how my @RPiAOne project works. Also in cars there is typically only one battery that is charged and used at the same time.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 am

hampi wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:I would go with a two batt system for efficient charging and for isolation.
The OP did not specify what kind of battery is needed. With a sealed lead acid battery and small solar panel you can do with one battery only. This is how my @RPiAOne project works. Also in cars there is typically only one battery that is charged and used at the same time.
Well, sure... as well any laptop/notebook! I have a two batt system in my truck as well... also, I have two batts for my notebook... charging one while using the other. Its a good system, its easier on the batt and it provides great isolation for the boards. This also has some to do with the quality of the charging system and the electronic isolation provided with that solution.

Well, like I said, there are lots of ways to do this...
marcus
:ugeek:

gordon77

Sat May 09, 2015 8:14 am

Is this any use for you? Note it's limited to 500mA out
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/379

SynonZelra

Sat May 09, 2015 8:46 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:There are lots of ways to do this. I like the method we use on the sail boat; its a two batt system with a manual (or electronic) switch-over. Basically, one batt is being used while the other batt is being charged.
Both batts are connected to the PI... the batt you're going to charge is switched to the charger, which first disengages that batt from the PI.
So, you're on BOTH, (A), or (B). When running on A you're charging B, and visav...

Charging can be solar, wind, whatever... or generator.

Another solution would be to have a DC-DC converter coming off of the batt-charger combo that would provide the proper voltage to the RPi regardless whether the charger is connected or on (charger is usually a higher voltage than the batt).

I would go with a two batt system for efficient charging and for isolation.
swapping battery is really good way, but I just want to make it easy-to-use as possible.

I'm using the lithium polymer battery, so I do have a DC-DC module to convert 3.7v to 5V to power the system, and maybe I'm looking for some solution like a cell phone: you plug in, it charges and still running.

Douglas6

Sat May 09, 2015 12:01 pm

And Adafruit has a module that does boost conversion, charging, and load sharing at 1A. Not cheap, but easy.

kfonda

Sat May 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Return to “Beginners”