walkonatyclb

over the air tv question

Sat May 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi I am a newbie here. I been reading about the home run for raspberry pi. I have a raspberry pi 2. What I am seeking to do is use my pi as a HD TV tuner and hook up a coax antenna as a HD TV antenna to get over the air TV. What suggestions can you guys give me.

Thanks in advance.

DougieLawson

Re: over the air tv question

Sat May 02, 2015 11:00 pm

You'll need a USB DVB stick.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

mikronauts

Sat May 02, 2015 11:39 pm

You will need to buy the MPEG-2 license from the Pi Foundation, OTA boardcasts are in MPEG-2
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

rpdom

Sun May 03, 2015 6:05 am

mikronauts wrote:You will need to buy the MPEG-2 license from the Pi Foundation, OTA boardcasts are in MPEG-2
Only the SD broadcasts, AFAIK. The HD broadcasts are in MPEG-4/H264, but there aren't so many of them

Also, the Pi2 has enough CPU power to do software decoding of MPEG-2.

drgeoff

Sun May 03, 2015 10:09 am

rpdom wrote:
mikronauts wrote:You will need to buy the MPEG-2 license from the Pi Foundation, OTA boardcasts are in MPEG-2
Only the SD broadcasts, AFAIK. The HD broadcasts are in MPEG-4/H264, but there aren't so many of them
That is true in the UK but not necessarily elsewhere. The OP's use of "antennna" and "home run" suggests he is not in the UK, possibly USA.

mikronauts

Sun May 03, 2015 2:23 pm

I wish that were true here in North America!

US/Canada uses MPEG-2 for all OTA broadcasts.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_HDTV

Y'all in the EU are also lucky with all the free view sat channels. There is not much english speaking content on Ku birds here, there is some on C band, but the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) on 6'-12' C-band dishes is very very low.
rpdom wrote:

Also, the Pi2 has enough CPU power to do software decoding of MPEG-2.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Return to “Beginners”