rkr

Powering HDD

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:45 am

Hi everyone,

As I wait for my Pi I was planning all sorts of things that would be set up once it's here but came across a problem when deciding about space issues. I only have a 4 gig uSD and even if I buy a new one, it'll be maxed out to 32GB (64?). So,I was planning to use a spare internal 3.5" SATA HDD (500GB). However, I can't figure how to power it and/or connect it to the Pi.
For conection, I looked here: http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=R40 ... Categories

But for power, I was thinking if something could be managed using a powered hub? (Don't wanna use another wall socket)

If this HDD can't be used, then could you suggest any other viable storage option? (2.5" laptop HDD powered via 2 USB ports?)

Dilligaf

Re: Powering HDD

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 am

The power brick that usually comes with those usually puts out 12 and 5 volts. Use a HDD power splitter off the brick and power the Pi with 5 volts from that.

Mike

itimpi

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 am

I use a 2.5" HD using a Y USB cable from two ports on my powered USB hub. Using a 2.5" HD seemed more appropriate with something the size of the Pi :D I also use another Y cable from two ports to power the Pi (one port might have worked but I had a spare port so why take the chance). The hub is a 7 port one so there are still ports free if needed to plug other USB devices into the Pi. This approach has the advantage that powering the hub on/off also switches the Pi on/off as well.

rkr

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Dilligaf wrote:The power brick that usually comes with those usually puts out 12 and 5 volts. Use a HDD power splitter off the brick and power the Pi with 5 volts from that.

Mike
This was in the Basic Setup forum for a reason: I don't know much about these things :P

Please be a little more elaborate. I couldn't comprehend your post.
itimpi wrote:I use a 2.5" HD using a Y USB cable from two ports on my powered USB hub. Using a 2.5" HD seemed more appropriate with something the size of the Pi :D I also use another Y cable from two ports to power the Pi (one port might have worked but I had a spare port so why take the chance). The hub is a 7 port one so there are still ports free if needed to plug other USB devices into the Pi. This approach has the advantage that powering the hub on/off also switches the Pi on/off as well.
Yeah but I'll have to buy a new 2.5" HDD. Could you tell me how to run a 3.5" one?

Dilligaf

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:54 pm

OK, first find a friend that knows basic electrical :D there is a 4 pin molex connector coming off the brick that plugs in to the HDD. Get a Y splitter that splits the end into 2 connectors, 1 for the HDD the second has 4 wires, 2 black ground wires, a red 5 volt wire, and a yellow 12 volt wire. Cut the micro USB cable and using the micro usb end splice the red and black wires from the cut end, black to either of the blacks and red to red (tape off or otherwise secure the other 2 wires). Plug the micro usb into the PI power input.

With the correct end you could make a molex to micro usb cable capable of plugging in to any PC power supply.

Mike

DISCLAIMER: Double check the voltage on the molex end and continuity to the 2 outer usb pins, I may have the colors confused. I am not responsible for any damage.

rkr

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:26 am

Dilligaf wrote:OK, first find a friend that knows basic electrical :D there is a 4 pin molex connector coming off the brick that plugs in to the HDD. Get a Y splitter that splits the end into 2 connectors, 1 for the HDD the second has 4 wires, 2 black ground wires, a red 5 volt wire, and a yellow 12 volt wire. Cut the micro USB cable and using the micro usb end splice the red and black wires from the cut end, black to either of the blacks and red to red (tape off or otherwise secure the other 2 wires). Plug the micro usb into the PI power input.

With the correct end you could make a molex to micro usb cable capable of plugging in to any PC power supply.

Mike

DISCLAIMER: Double check the voltage on the molex end and continuity to the 2 outer usb pins, I may have the colors confused. I am not responsible for any damage.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to ask someone about this.
Heading off to college, I wanted to be as minimalist as possible in the small room. Maybe I'll ask my new professors for help :P

Beerhunter

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 am

rkr. I have a similar setup to your but have a 2.5" SATA drive.

In the UK it is possible to buy Pluscom 2.5" SATA drive enclosures for about £.3.50 - delivered. The 2.5 disk simply plugs in to the enclosure and is powered by a powered USB hub.

3.5 inch disks tend to need external power and so the enclosure for them have their own power supplies (rather than via USB) but still only cost about £8.00.

Neither of these solutions require any: wiring, soldering or indeed any how-to knowledge, they just plug in.

Return to “Beginners”