ShadowDust99

Need to understand as few things

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi there,
I have not purchased a Pi yet, but am considering, but need to know a few things before I do so.

A few things I would like to know:
1) Do all of your codes and Scratch files etc. save to the sd card with the OS on it (probably NOOBS installer in my case)
2) Can you be using different OS's for different projects, or would you need different SD cards for this, and you would have to probably reformat the Pi wouldn't you if you do this?
I think that is all I need to know for now, but I will tell you all if there is anything else I need :)

topguy

Re: Need to understand as few things

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:17 am

>>1) Do all of your codes and Scratch files etc. save to the sd card with the OS on it (probably NOOBS installer in my case)

Normally yes, but I'm sure you can save them to a memorystick or network mounted drive if you want to,

>> 2) Can you be using different OS's for different projects, or would you need different SD cards for this, and you would have to probably reformat the Pi wouldn't you if you do this?

When you say "different OSs" do you mean different instances of Raspbian (which is the one with Scratch) or completely different OSs like RiscOS, Debian, Raspbian etc. ? I dont see why you would need to have different OSs for different Scratch projects.
But if you (as me) want to test out spotify streaming with Mopidy, emulations with RecalBox and OpenElec then yes, having several
SD cards makes that much easier.

ShadowDust99

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:15 am

topguy wrote:>>1) Do all of your codes and Scratch files etc. save to the sd card with the OS on it (probably NOOBS installer in my case)

Normally yes, but I'm sure you can save them to a memorystick or network mounted drive if you want to,

>> 2) Can you be using different OS's for different projects, or would you need different SD cards for this, and you would have to probably reformat the Pi wouldn't you if you do this?

When you say "different OSs" do you mean different instances of Raspbian (which is the one with Scratch) or completely different OSs like RiscOS, Debian, Raspbian etc. ? I dont see why you would need to have different OSs for different Scratch projects.
But if you (as me) want to test out spotify streaming with Mopidy, emulations with RecalBox and OpenElec then yes, having several
SD cards makes that much easier.
Thanks.
I wasn't really referring to just scratch in question 2. I'm talking like different projects and things. Like I might want to make a game, and also use my pi as an emulator. So would I need once if my cards to have like Raspbian and my game made in scratch there, and on another sd card have another os with programs for emulations on it. Also, when having different sd cards, would I need to reformat the pi or something everytime I put a different card in it?
Thanks for your help :)

AndyD

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:21 am

ShadowDust99 wrote:...Also, when having different sd cards, would I need to reformat the pi or something everytime I put a different card in it?
No, everything is stored on the SD card. There is no storage on the Raspberry Pi itself. Swapping SD cards is enough to change everything.

kusti8

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:08 pm

AndyD wrote:
ShadowDust99 wrote:...Also, when having different sd cards, would I need to reformat the pi or something everytime I put a different card in it?
No, everything is stored on the SD card. There is no storage on the Raspberry Pi itself. Swapping SD cards is enough to change everything.
+1

It's good to have a lot of SD cards for testing etc.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Beginners”