jwlawler

Web browser recommendations

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:56 am

I had expected there to be many posts on this topic but a quick search has not found any which closely match my question.

I have owned a Raspberry Pi 1 for years. It gives good service as a web server but not as a client. It runs out of steam on anything but the simplest website.

I have just bought a new Pi 2 with the hope that it will cope better. The plan is to have it permanently connected to the TV. When I want to do a quick web session, I pick up the wireless keyboard and mouse and off I go.

I have the new Pi now and have loaded Raspbian. I see only one browser included by default: Epiphany. It copes well with Google Mail. It partially copes with Facebook, I get the middle column of posts but not the columns either side; no error, just empty white space. It crashes quickly on Google and BBC News.

What other browsers are available and does anyone have suggestions of what may cope with these sites?

DougieLawson

Re: Web browser recommendations

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Try using Opera on Windows. That's the best option.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

pluggy

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:22 pm

I'd considered something equally snide, but thought better of it......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

BMS Doug

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:43 pm

KWeb browser is probably as good as it gets.

Don't expect perfection for $35.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jwlawler

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Try using Opera on Windows. That's the best option.
Thanks, can I install that with apt-get?

John

kusti8

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:44 pm

jwlawler wrote:
Thanks, can I install that with apt-get?

John
I'm pretty sure Opera isn't on the raspberry pi.

I would go for kweb. I tried it out this morning for the first time and it certainly is speedy and works well.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Opera works on Microsoft Windows or x86/x86_64 Linux
http://www.opera.com/download/guide/

That's a much better platform for web browsing than your RPi2B will ever be. The problem is bandwidth bloat to bring you the ever funkier graphics and longer running adverts that aren't needed and don't enhance your web experience.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jwlawler

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:00 pm

kusti8 wrote: I'm pretty sure Opera isn't on the raspberry pi.

I would go for kweb. I tried it out this morning for the first time and it certainly is speedy and works well.
Thanks. I was puzzled by other posts which seemed to say that Opera was not on the Pi. I wondered whether it had recently appeared.

jwlawler

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:03 pm

I just realised that I missed the "on Windows".

eriktheitalian

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:15 pm

I have a dream. Black or white is not problem. We are equal. Problem is hw accelerated browser.

Todays web browsers heavily optimized for x86. I can understand javascript dom html5 encoding performance issue. My target is not "give me desktop computer". Hey mandrake give me supercomputer for 35$.This is not my target.

Raspberry founder writing "We have 25glops good gpu for this type computer. Why not ? We can use it for browser"

There is epiphany with experimental stage hw acceleration. Its realy faster and enough without quad core support. There is not new beta source we can tune it. We can try it.

May be everyone waiting Anhold new driver.
Pls dont angry to me. My need is not saying "this is bad product". This is good product. Only we need some explanation about epiphany rpi edition's last stage...
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

riklaunim

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 pm

eriktheitalian wrote:IRaspberry founder writing "We have 25glops good gpu for this type computer. Why not ? We can use it for browser"
"gflops" on their own don't turn into hardware acceleration of certain desktop features. Just open chromium and go to about:gpu ;)

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/ - VC4 has 24 GFlops, which is around Mali-450. Old Intel HD3000 has 33.6~129.6 GFlops, yet at certain usages/benchmark it will be incomparable (superior) with both VC4 and Mali450 - due to support for desktop OpenGL. Some other GPUs may also support OpenCL or newer versions of OpenGL ES / OpenGL which in the end may allow certain desktop features to be hardware accelerated... but in general desktop on ARM is quite poor experience. Partially due to graphics drivers and mobile type of the GPU for which Linux desktop wasn't optimized/written against. As x86 gets cheaper and better at that price there won't be much need to provide better desktop experience for ARM (which for mass market is dominated by Android, which was written with mobile GPU in mind).

eriktheitalian

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:45 pm

riklaunim wrote:
eriktheitalian wrote:IRaspberry founder writing "We have 25glops good gpu for this type computer. Why not ? We can use it for browser"
"gflops" on their own don't turn into hardware acceleration of certain desktop features. Just open chromium and go to about:gpu ;)

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/ - VC4 has 24 GFlops, which is around Mali-450. Old Intel HD3000 has 33.6~129.6 GFlops, yet at certain usages/benchmark it will be incomparable (superior) with both VC4 and Mali450 - due to support for desktop OpenGL. Some other GPUs may also support OpenCL or newer versions of OpenGL ES / OpenGL which in the end may allow certain desktop features to be hardware accelerated... but in general desktop on ARM is quite poor experience. Partially due to graphics drivers and mobile type of the GPU for which Linux desktop wasn't optimized/written against. As x86 gets cheaper and better at that price there won't be much need to provide better desktop experience for ARM (which for mass market is dominated by Android, which was written with mobile GPU in mind).
Yes vc4 is not strong for comparing new gpus. 24 gflops is important when compared 300mflops software ( multicore neon ).

Hd 3000 desktop processor.(12 pipelined) Sandy bridge series using this. Atoms using hd 4000 cutted 4 pipelined series. This cpu series ( high end i7 ) can reach 100gflops with software ( with avx or sse 4.x im not remember total ) They are not need gpu but using. We are need but we cant. U are totaly right. We cant be like x86 desktop.

nvidia's last k1 processor dominating. when they used maxwell they can reach 1 teraflops on tablets. Only very expensive and desktop intel gpus archieving 1 teraflops. I cant say u are totaly right for this. Intel cannot win easy.

and amd coming with arm processors.

Plus. I'm realy sensitive for video decoding. I can say videocore iv best h264 decoder for 35$.

eriktheitalian

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm reading something about QT 5 series. They are writing "we are perfectly supporting rasperry gpu" But i'm not know mean of this.

I'm tried compiling qupzilla. Html engine speed realy good. Only problem is qt gui speed. If i can use it with qt 5 i'm not know what is effect.

riklaunim

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:51 pm

There is a post showing some of Qt5 demos running on the Pi. In the end - Raspberry Pi isn't for real "demanding" web browsing. I even wouldn't use strongest ARM boards like some Odroids. Those can get the browser experience close to entry level x86... but still no point $/performance/limitations.

gkreidl

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:55 am

riklaunim wrote:There is a post showing some of Qt5 demos running on the Pi. In the end - Raspberry Pi isn't for real "demanding" web browsing. I even wouldn't use strongest ARM boards like some Odroids. Those can get the browser experience close to entry level x86... but still no point $/performance/limitations.
What does "demanding web browsing" mean? Do you count how many web pages you can load per minute? Do you prefer web pages with lots of flashing and sliding eye candy (the more, the less useful information on a page, my observation)?
Usually a web page contains a lot of information that needs reading, so most time you spend on a web page is spent doing just that.
For 99% of what I'm doing on the net, the RPi2 is fast enough not too lose a measurable amount of time. But I don't play games on the net and I prefer written information to video tutorials.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”