electric_sheep

Installing second os

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi, can i install a second os without loosing the first with the same sd card ?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing second os

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

electric_sheep wrote:Hi, can i install a second os without loosing the first with the same sd card ?
Depends whether you installed whatever OS with or without NOOBS or BerryBoot :!:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

r3d4

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Yes, but .... not easily!

install just realy means copy files , so for example you can make a 2nd " install " of the os you all ready have by making a second copy of the files in another partition ...

Then !
You just need to change the boot config file called cmdline.txt to use/boot the 'new' root file system copy (* you dont need to change the kernel in this example case, but for another OS you might ! )

Hope thats as clear as mud .
8-)
Last edited by r3d4 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electric_sheep

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:28 pm

i want first to install 2 OSes with noobs. Few days later i want to install a third os that is not included in noobs. So after i want to have a multiboot option with the 3 OSes.

Thx

procount

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:43 pm

When you install any OSes with NOOBS, it normally expands each OS equally to fill the available space on the SD card.
You can prevent this by manually editing the json files if you are installing locally, but no chance if you are installing from the internet (ie.. something other than Raspbian)
And even if you were able to leave space on the SD card for your third OS, NOOBS wiped the whole SD card whenever you want to re-install any one of them.
So my advice would be to install all 3 OSes from the start. You could manually replace the third OS with a different one later if it takes up a similar amount of space and you know what you are doing.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:44 pm

electric_sheep wrote:Hi, can i install a second os without loosing the first with the same sd card ?
With NOOBS you can NOT do that.

Don't know about berryboot, I prefer to spend a fiver for another SDCard, it's easier.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Beginners”