shawnerz

List of wireless devices?

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:25 am

Is there a list of USB wireless "dongles" that Squeeze supports?
I bought a Netgear WNA3100 thinking I could use ndiswrapper. The Netgear isn supported ndiswrapper isn't supported in squeeze.
Thanks in advance.
-Shawn

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: List of wireless devices?

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Nr90

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm

One thing to add, ndiswrapper is a wrapper for windows x86 drivers for x86 linux.
As the RPi is arm, ndiswrapper will not work.

shawnerz

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Yes, I know this now.
I was hoping that because ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-dkms, and ndiswrapper-source are in the repositories, that it would be just a matter of time before an ARM version of ndiswrapper-utils was added.

shawnerz

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Thank you very much for the link.
It was very helpful. :)
-Shawn

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:25 pm

shawnerz wrote:Yes, I know this now.
I was hoping that because ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-dkms, and ndiswrapper-source are in the repositories, that it would be just a matter of time before an ARM version of ndiswrapper-utils was added.
Sorry If I come over as "grumpy", but if you think that I guess that you do not understand what "ndiswrapper" does, or what a "wrapper" is.

A wrapper, in this context, is a piece of code that offers interfaces for drivers (written in x86 code) so that they think they are running inside windows, in this case inside "NDIS", the windows "Network Driver Interface Specification", which is a windows API for network cards. In this sense, using ndiswrapper is already an enormous kludge, created out of pure frustration over the lack of real Linux support.

As the wrapper still interfaces to existing X86 code, it is useless if itself is coded in ARM code! As the driver itself is, and cannot be anything else, than x86 code!
In fact the only way for this to work was if there was also code to execute this x86 code on the fly, but such an x86 to ARM interpreter would be far too slow for any real world driver code, its performance would be abhorrently bad.

The real solution would be to use hardware for which genuine Linux support and drivers exists, so that with the use of the source-code a new driver could be compiled into ARM code.

shawnerz

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:11 pm

mahjongg,
You didn't come across grumpy. Your answer explination really helped.
I had to use ndiswrapper on my laptop. It has a Broadcom 43XX chipset. I just used the Windows driver and the wrapper, and it worked. I know you pointed out that it was x86, but it never dawned on me what you were trying to imply. I get it now! Thank you.
I now have a Netgear N150. I hope to have better results with it.
Thanks again,
-Shawn

wibble

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:01 pm

My Netgear WMA3100M worked more or less out of the box with latest Raspbian (updated today.)

Seemed to take its time getting connected, but then worked fine.

Return to “Beginners”