Miles2912

I made a Video on how to use SSH to secure the Pi

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:45 pm

I read a few articles on the net on how to lock down the Pi (linux in general) with SSH and think that videos are easier to understand. Hope this helps a few of you out with logging in remotely. The vid walks you through generating the keys in putty to locking the pi down so you need the keys to log in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4TEY6eR4DM

expandables

Re: I made a Video on how to use SSH to secure the Pi

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:10 pm

So why go through all of that and all you have to do is change either the user pi or the pi password. :mrgreen:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

bobstro

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Nice presentation. Thank you for speaking clearly and using a script. Your video is better than some of the paid material I've seen at Udemy and Tutsplus.

Two comments:

You gloss over why you're setting the file and directory permissions. Not a bad thing, per se, but a new user might wonder why and what you're doing.

You don't emphasize the importance of the private key, the need to protect it and the implications of losing it.

I do wonder why anybody would expose their Pi to the Internet, particularly without changing default passwords. :(

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Don't bother putting in "network" or "broadcast" to the interfaces file. They aren't needed and bad things happen if you get them wrong.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Beginners”