Largo

Using Apple Power Supplies...

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:42 am

I tried searching the forum before posting this question but the Search function said "power supply" and USB were "too common" words and toss out the search so please forgive me if the answer to this has already posted. So here goes:

So I've got iPhone and iPad USB chargers and wanted to know if it was possible to use these to power the RPi? I know if you want the iPad to charge at the full 2A you need to have voltage on the other pins of the USB connector.

Will putting voltage on the other pins of the connector adversely effect the RPi?

Has anyone else tried this?

robsoft

Re: Using Apple Power Supplies...

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:56 pm

I've got an iPod charger from a while back, a UK main one with the detachable pin-part and a USB socket on the back. It claims to be 5v 1A and it's happy running my Pi. I've got a few unbranded phone-type chargers too which claim to be 5v 1A and they've all driven the Pi without a problem (I normally use a powered hub for my USB stuff).

I haven't tried an iPad charger but would be surprised if it didn't work.

And actually, you've made me just realise I've got a very old iPod charger (the firewire style) which might also be 5v !A - small bit of soldering practise to get a firewire-to-usb-mini cable and it might be an alternative Pi PSU too.
--
Rob, Robsoft. Delphi, C#, SQL Server, Xamarin, Raspi

Grumpy Mike

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:41 pm

I have use an iPad charger to power the Pi with no problems. I just had to change the lead. It is an original iPad if that makes any difference but it is marked at 2A.

Largo

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:59 am

Thanks for the replies. I found the following in my local Walmart (US) - RCA Portable 2 Outlet USB Charger for $9.96 (USD). Has two USB ports - you can charge two iPhone/iTouch at a time or one iPad - states the one port is rated for a full 2.1 amps.

Brand: RCA
Model No.: PCHUSB4R

Tried to find overseas equivalent but no luck. I can't wait to try it out.

I was surprised to find you didn't have to resort to some sort of trickery to get the full output from the iPad charger. But now that I think of it, I think the trickery is all on the iPad side ( won't charge at full 2.1 amp rate unless voltages are on two other pins) - I was trying to hack an old ATX power supply to create a multi-iPad charger.

Return to “Beginners”