Forgotten01

sudden power issues

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Hello all, I have been having some issues with my pi ever since I wiped the SD card and reinstalled raspbian. I have been using a usb battery pack with my pi and I almost never had any issues with it, the voltage is pretty stable, hovering around 5.1x volts, but after the wipe the rainbow square is always on and never leaves. Normally I have a Bluetooth adapter and a wifi adapter plugged in, and maybe a flash drive, but now it hangs after starting the swap file if I have any of them connected. Basically, the only thing that has changed is that I have updated the software, and I have no reason to believe the problem is with the hardware, and yes, I have tried using a wall charger, specifically, an 12 watt iPad brick. Can you help me?
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

3corey2

Re: sudden power issues

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:48 pm

ive had this problem before, i had all my usb ports full and it was ok, but then i put on my lcd screen and it would crash, after like 10 reinstalls of raspian i noticed the screen flicker when my pi crashed. so i found a usb charger (rather than the phone charger i was using) the amps or whatever where higher but the volts were the same and it worked! i went from my 700 mah to a 1500 mah and it worked fine. :D
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

Forgotten01

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:50 pm

The problem isn't the power supply, it worked just fine before the reinstall, it is a 5v1a power supply
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

3corey2

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm

what type of pi are you using? and is the version old enouph/new enouph that it is capatable with your pi?
AND EVERYONE VEIWING THIS POST SOMETHING
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:53 pm

if the rainbow box is there then you are not getting enough juice to the board.
your micro usb lead is bad.
measure the voltage on the test pads
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Forgotten01

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:55 pm

I will test it later when I get home, but I have been using the cable for months before I updated and the pi worked fine, like I said before, literally the only thing that is different is that I updated my pi.

Edit: sorry if I come off a little short :?

Also, where are the test pads at? Should the voltage be exactly the same as the power supply? I have a model B+
Scott Adams

3corey2

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm

yes but it may be running a little harder with the update. like when i pluged everything in in my room and my power turned off... (i relize that was a fuze and fixed it) but the point is i added more and i need more power. Like when i update my tower and notice the fan is running more, its cuz its working harder with newer updates and the same old hardware. i asume it is the power.
ras pi 2, gotta love it.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Forgotten01 wrote:The problem isn't the power supply, it worked just fine before the reinstall, it is a 5v1a power supply
Definitely try a beefier PSU before looking at other area's.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Forgotten01

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm

can someone show me EXACTLY where the voltage test pads are? I'd rather not fry my pi :D
I have a B+
Scott Adams

eriktheitalian

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm not know is there a different power input on Rpi2.

I'm added 3 type micro-usb jack to my power supply. One of them connected loose. Easy moving left to right. One of them right connected. Its solid. But socket is sensitive. When connecting usb, little push result red led blinking/rainbow square...

I need search better compatible micro usb jack or i can use soldering gun.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

DirkS

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Forgotten01 wrote:can someone show me EXACTLY where the voltage test pads are? I'd rather not fry my pi :D
I have a B+
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 22#p628505
You need test pads PP1 - PP2

Return to “Beginners”