metalj

beginner questions

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 pm

how do i go from the windows back to the command prompt? how do i get back to raspi config? how do i add and sign up for email? how to i set it to eastern standard time? i'm using a ps2 keyboard and mouse with usb adapter + hdmi to vga and everything is working perfect. how do i log out & shut off the computer when i'm done? do i use my username on the raspi map or my forum name? this is so cool!
Backspace 28 times :)

DougieLawson

Re: beginner questions

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Open an LXTerminal window that's the icon that looks like a computer screen two steps to the right of the raspberry in the top left of the screen.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

karakuri

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey metalj

These instructions are for Raspbian OS.
how do i go from the windows back to the command prompt?
Like Dougie mentioned, click Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal
Or you can click the LxTerminal icon on the taskbar (it looks like a computer screen)
how do i get back to raspi config?
In LxTerminal type in

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
how do i add and sign up for email?
Not sure what you mean. You can open the internet browser and sign up for any email account as usual (Gmail, Yahoo, Live etc)
how to i set it to eastern standard time?
Once you have raspi-config open in your terminal window, scroll down to Internationalisation Options then click on Change Timezone. Wait for about 10 seconds, don't type anything in the terminal window. It will then load a list of continents and regions. Select your time zone.
how do i log out & shut off the computer when i'm done?
Click Menu -> Shutdown. Then when it's finished you can turn off your power adapter or pull out the plug.
do i use my username on the raspi map or my forum name?
Not sure what you mean.

Hope that helps :)

metalj

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks that does help a lot. In config it says raspberry pi map. I want to be seen from the map so I wanted to know if I should use the name that I log into the computer for that or just make up a name like my forum name. Also by email I ment a popular rasbian email app. I don't know if I'm supposed to get it from the pi store or get it from the command line or download it from the internet browser. Sorry I asked so many questions I panicked quick.

metalj

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 am

I found a kindle book called beginning raspberry pi 2 by Charles Daniels that is helpful. It answered my pi map or rastrack question which is make up a handle nickname. Anyway I guess i could use my old email but I was hoping for a rasbian app oh well. Thanks again for the help. Also setting up WiFi from inside the windows is so easy.

Return to “Beginners”