Maxteddy

Some beginner / noob issues

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi all

1st post.

Bought my Pi 2 and all the bits and i'm eager to get up and running but encountered a few issues. I've read the FAq's and googled but unless i'm missing something, i cant resolve them.

Heres what i've done.

(1) Formatted the 32 gig sd card with the SD formatter software

(2) Downloaded the Noobs set up file and extracted it to the root of the sd card

(3) Attached the Network cable, hdmi, power and booted up. It gives me the install options and install Raspbian and Openelec

It all installs fine and I can get into the desktop. It also allows me to start up openelec on reboot as well.

All well and good.

However, i want to use my pi purely for Openelec and emulation and this is where i've got 'stuck'

Firstly, I have downloaded the Recalbox file and want to extract it to the sd card. however, it comes up that there is not enough space. When the pi first boots up the configuration menu appears and I try option one but it says as I have noobs, its already expanded but its still saying i only have a few meg left.

Secondly, looking at the files on the sd card, some have the same name as the recalbox files i want to put on there so i'm a bit confused as its going to say 'same file name exists' and 'overwrite'.

However, its the lack of space thats causing the trouble!

Thanks in advance :)

topguy

Re: Some beginner / noob issues

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Have you done this again on the card ?
- (1) Formatted the 32 gig sd card with the SD formatter software

( Yes you will loose everything on the card )

When running NOOBS the card is repartitioned into different partitions, and the FAT32 one, that Windows recognize, is not so large anymore. So the card should be reformatted before using something similar as recalbox.

rinky451

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 pm

probably what u will need to do is take the card out, then in another machine if you have linux,, use gparted and you will have to "unmount" each partition and then delete them 1 by one,, then create a new partition for the full size of the card,, format to fat32, hit apply and the card will be opened up again.. sounds harder than you think.. but that is what I found that works for me. Formatting under windows on the sd card would never bring it to full capacity for me.. Hope this suggestion helps.

karakuri

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Hey Maxteddy,

If you write the image to the card using Win32DiskImager it will automatically delete all of your partitions for you.

When you boot into Raspbian, open the LxTerminal and type in

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
then select Expand Filesystem. This will ensure that the extra space on your card becomes usable.

topguy

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:14 pm

@karakuri

You advice is correct for all OS that can be downloaded as a disk-image, but recalbox in this case uses Noobs so you only extract the zip file to the FAT formatted sd-card, and the rest is done on the first boot.

drgeoff

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm

My understanding is that the OP wants both Openelec and emulation on a single card.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

topguy

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:28 pm

The newest versions of Recalbox comes with Kodi pre-installed..

Maxteddy

Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

thank you all for the responses.

Yes, I purely want my Pi 2 for openelec and Recalbox.

All installed fine and I can run it.

Return to “Beginners”